Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

After looking at the getting a RZR for months I changed my mind I got a 500 X2. I will be picking it up tomorrow, but wanted to get an idea of what people are running for wheels and tires. I searched for this topic but couldn't find anything so here we go. Maybe we can use this thread as a place to capture all tire/wheel combos used on the Sportsman.

Can everybody post what wheels (w/size & offset) and tires combo they are using, and comment on your likes/dislikes with your setup. Please note if there were any issues with a particuliar combo and if spacers are being used. It might be a good idea to note what type of riding you do as this is a big factor in tire choice. I think pictures would help everybody out also. Would the width be info of value to anybody? (I know some places have a 50" width restriction.)

I am looking at either Douglas Rokstars or the Vision 161 (Bruisers) with Swamplite tires. My riding will be on trails with some mud and rocks - little hard pack - but being in Maine I also need something that is good in the snow as I plan on plowing and using the machine to go on the lakes for ice fishing.

Here are some different combo's:

My Stock on Stock.
Name:  Stock.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  116.2 KB

OIown12's Stock 489's on Vision 160's. Stock size 12x7 with stock 4+3 offset.
Name:  489s_Vision160s.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  78.0 KB

polarisman600's 26" Mudlites on SS106's. Wheel offset is 3+4.
Name:  Mudlite_SS106.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  93.1 KB

bytor's 27" OutlawMST's on Vision 159's. From bytor "I like the looks and the tires are good in all conditions. I do like the mud and they hook up and clean great. Fairly smooth on the hard packed too. As jumbo stated though, my width is now about 53" which may be a problem in certain places."
Name:  Vision159_OutlawMST.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  80.2 KB

Vince's 26" Swamplites on the 12" Polaris Deluxe Wheels. 26x10x12 for the front and 26x12x12 for the rear with 1 1/2" spacers on the front and back on the existing 12" stock rim (Polaris Deluxe)
Name:  Swamplites_PolarisDeluxe.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  84.0 KB

On the right is Vince's ITP 27" XTR Mud Lites on 14" ITP rims.
Name:  RIGHTMudliteXTRonITP.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  46.9 KB

ivplay Swamplites on Stock wheels. From ivplay "As for the ride they are very good, they pull excellent in the mud or where ever you put them. The 10 inch on the front required me to have to flip the tie rod ends but thats all"

mcfly682's 27" ITP Mudlite XTRs on 14" Vision 161 Bruisers. From mcfly682 "Lemme tell ya, these things kick serious *** in the slop but are a little rough on hard pack. Regardless of any downfalls they may have, theyre way better than the stock Carlisle crapola"
Name:  MudlitesonVisionBruisers.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  117.0 KB

Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

I put Vision 160s on my 2007 X2. Stock size 12x7 with same 4+3 offset. I kept the stock tires for the time being. Plan to replace those with 26" ITP Terracross in the fall.

I have some before and afters on my photo page.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin *5 J's*
I like these http://motoalliance.com/index.cfm/pageid/227, They might not all completely round but they will replace em if there not. Price is good and they do hold up well. Here's what they look like on mine.
There 6 ply.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

OIown12 - nice looking ride - I like the looks of those wheels. I had looked at the Terracross but read that the tread doesn't empty well. As I live in Maine this would be an issue in the snow. The Kenda Bounty hunters look similiar to the stock - but seem a little more aggressive and have a nice side lug. The Swamplites follow the same design but are even more aggressive. A lot of people seem to rave about the Maxxis Bighorns - I just not sure if I like the looks. I would like to see them on a machine.

hobbles - how does that tread pattern work for you. What type of riding do you do? Do you have a side shot of your ride? (by the way your link to motoalliance captured a comma so it won't work without removing the comma)

No spacers used in either setup I take it.

Anybody else?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I just put on 26" itp mudlite xtr's. They are mounted on itp SS 106 rims. I believe the offset is 3+4. So far I love them. I have a pic. of them under my page. Also if you are going to go with a wider tire in the front you might have trouble with them clearing the tie rod. You can either buy new rims with a different offset of relocate the tie rod end.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

afternoon *5 J's*
I like the tread on mine. It's not as smooth on the pavement as stock, but they do good other wise.
side view
After 700 miles
They work good
I parked here to take a picture.
All in all, I like em.

no spacers. On stock rim's.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

hobbles - looks like they'll do whatever you need them to do - even swim. Thanks for the info.

Anybody else have different combo's?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the stock 26" radials. I bought mud tires once and it was a complete waste of money. I never needed anything other than stock tires to go through mud and water up to the seat. When the mud was so deep I framed out, I just rocked side to side until one tire bit in, and I was outta there.

I couldn't even go down the 50" trails in here Michigan if I had wheel spacers. Like I tell everyone else stick with the stock tires to see how they perform. THEN if you don't like them, get something different. My best friend wouldn't listen to me and now he has three sets of wheels and tires for his Grizzly. Including 27" Mud Lites on ITP rims, that he NEVER uses, but hauls them around in his trailer everywhere, just in case. SOME DAY, he MIGHT try to go through the swamp I went through two years ago. I went through alone and a dozen of my friends went around. That was the one time in my life I needed mud tires.

Most mud tires don't ride as nice on hard packed dirt either. I saw one quad with Greenball Gators or something like that and you could actually see the quad going up and down, bumpity bump, on smooth ground. If you do get mud tires make sure there's a lot of tread at the centerline to avoid that. My Goodyear MudRunners were nice but they roto-tilled the trail behind me. It looked like a farmer was getting ready to plant two rows.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I've got 27" Outlaw MST's on Vision 159 wheels. I like the looks and the tires are good in all conditions. I do like the mud and they hook up and clean great. Fairly smooth on the hard packed too. As jumbo stated though, my width is now about 53" which may be a problem in certain places.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kenda Executioners look pretty good too. http://www.kendausa.com/atv/utility.html#executioner They should clean out really good since the spaces are way bigger than the lugs. Better than 589s judging by the picture.

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman