Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new machine 500x2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new machine 500x2

had this on order for a month and a half and it just came in last night. i think the tires are fine for yard work, but am going to need something better for snow slush and ice covered lakes in northern new england, whats the biggest tire i can fit on the stock rims and will i need spacers for that. i like the camo rims and might want to keep them and get a second set of bigger rims and tires for the winter if thats a better option. any suggestions for the icefishing tires and pros or cons with spacers verse bigger rims, how big a tire fits the x2,s and whats the best for snow on ice

Name:  DSC_0074.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  120.3 KB

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Fishless, I was told by a dealer that 26" is about as high as you should go on an X2. I'm not sure if you need spacers or not for clearance. The 489s are not bad at all in the ice and snow. I've had it on a frozen beaver pond once with bare ice, once with 5 inches of snow on the ice. Either way they did fine. The AWD pulls through most anything. I've only got stuck with the stock tires when I broke through crusty snow that was 2 feet deep. Had to winch it. If you're dealing with anything more than a foot of powder you might consider a track kit.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Nice looking ride - hopefully I will be picking up my red 500 X2 tomorrow. Being in Maine I am looking for a good tire/wheel combo and have the same questions as you. I sure with all the great folks on this site we will get some good info. I am looking at the Swamplites. I have read many tire reviews online - but none really mention how well they do on snow or ice.

I had thought about the Terracross - but I hear they don't empty the tread well. This would make me think they would not be good in snow.
A lot of people like the Maxxis Bighorns (Duro Power Grip and Greenball Dirt Tamer are quite similiar)
Kenda Bounty Hunters get good reviews - lugs are little shorter than the Swamplites I believe.
Most say the Swamplites work well in varying terrains, though not necessarily the best in any particuliar. I think that with their aggressive lug, side lugs, and open pattern, they should work well in snow.

As for sizes, spacers, issues, etc. I couldn't find much info. I started a post this morning titled "Wheels and Tires for the Polaris Sportsman". Hopefully people will post thier combinations, likes and dislikes, and pictures .

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

how did you get the pic in you8r post

Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The highest praises I've heard for tires are for the ITP Mudlite XTRs.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

5 J's, im also thinking chains may be the answer. winter for me will be mainly on the ponds. i skipped the idea of buying a nice house years ago, bought two small camps, one on forest lake in mass and the other up on sebago lake Maine on one of the river mouths. i really need it setup for ice and snow, maybe even some screw in spikes. ill be watching your thread as well. this thing climbs steep hills like crazy, your going to like it.
xjjmno, i downloaded the pic into photobucket and then cut and pasted the link here, its easy with photobucket and you can open an acct with them for free. photobucket gives you 4 different posting link types, its the bottom link that works on this forum.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

THank you sir.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Just checking to see if this works. This is my new quad I picked up last week.

Name:  quad.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  59.3 KB

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

Fishlessman thanks again. That's awesome. And your new quad is awesome to. I was very close to getting the X2. I went with a single seater becuase of price and the fact that 99% of my riding will be done by myself..

Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

xjjmno, like the racks on that setup. dont know why they do it with the x2, but the stock tires are much better looking on the regular 500

Quick Reply: my new machine 500x2