Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Flaming trail boss

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaming trail boss

Hi guys,

this is my first email here but thought you would appreciate the heads up on a serious error in the assembly of our 07, 330cc Trail boss. We have four of these, well now 3 1/2 as one burst into flames while pottering along a shingle road. Despite numerous fire exstinguishers the bike could not be saved. Luckily the rider escaped unharmed although a little shaken.

Upon inspection of the remaining bikes we discovered the fuel line running to the carb was routed so it rubbed on the top of the cylinder head. All bikes were wearing through the line, one was scarely close to going through the others only weeks away. We have only had these bikes a couple of months although do use them daily.

Comparing the routing of the fuel line to our 2001 models we can see they have been put in the clip the wrong way around, a wiring loom in plastic cowling should be between the fuel line and cylinder head.

I encourage every polaris owner to check there bikes as this is a scary and dangerous mistake made by polaris. We operate next to a huge forestry area and were lucky it was a cold, wet and snowey day.

Also has anybody else had any problems like this as we have been told we are the only ones.

I am sure polaris will do some sort of recall to rectify the fault, but big businesses take there time, we just dont want it to come to late for anybody else.

Warm regards,

Graeme Moore
New Zealand

Trail boss with heater
Not much left

Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW scary pics you got there!!.........My 2006 Sportsman 450 has a recall on the ECM for the same.......A fire issue!!........I can't even think if that was in a garage with lots other car/trucks/toys/tools etc......
..........Caper............

Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes indeed, it was very scary, and to find all our other bikes would do the same if left un fixed that is very concerning. The biggest problem with this is that every bike that has been assembled incorrectly will eventually set alight.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if any other models are like that.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow! I have my nephews 03 stored at my house and I'll be sure to check the lines just to be safe. I'm sure they would have worn through by now, but I don't know how much it's been ridden. Wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone with an 07/08 to check their lines, regardless of the model.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

yeah,my01 scrambler is like that,i put a bunch of h.d. aluminum foil all around it.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

also, if it is really close to the engine like that it can heat up the fuel and effect your tune, like maybe make it run lean. i only have this problem on small nitro RC cars, i dont know about gasolines.
man, that is a scary pic!!!