Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 400 clutch of belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieordie
The local polaris dealer gave me a 3211077, I put this belt on and did way better a couple trips up and down the road then back to slipping terribly.. I personally feel its too long my self but what do I know, please feel free to make suggestions its really starting to make me mad, Again it is a 2001 sportsman 400 4x4 THANKS SO MUCH
You have the right belt if its 2001 sportsman 400 4x4. Clutches may have problems,such as worn ramp buttons in rear clutch causing problems OR maybe rear/front broken motor mount?? Are you able to move motor a little?? The 400s had non ebs clutches,BUT have had people change em out to ebs for better down hill breaking. Does your machine have a one way bearing on front clutch or is where the belt rides just a plain shaft??? OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, keep it coming. The motor mounts seem to be fine. The primary clutch does not have the one way bearing. I just checked which way I had the belt on and I have it were you can read Polaris the correct way but did not see any arrows. Is there any kind of adjustment I should look for on either clutch? With the four wheeler sitting, where the belt rides on the primary clutch, I would say there is almost a 1/16th inch play back and forth. Is that correct? Feel free to text or call me (479)650-4676. Again, thanks a lot!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Thanks for the help, keep it coming. The motor mounts seem to be fine. The primary clutch does not have the one way bearing. I just checked which way I had the belt on and I have it were you can read Polaris the correct way but did not see any arrows. Is there any kind of adjustment I should look for on either clutch? With the four wheeler sitting, where the belt rides on the primary clutch, I would say there is almost a 1/16th inch play back and forth. Is that correct? Feel free to text or call me (479)650-4676. Again, thanks a lot!
Play side to side is not that critical on the non ebs system. The MAIN thing is with the cover off, the center of the belt between the front and rear should not sag OVER 1 1/2" just use a straight edge on top of the clutches and push top of belt down and measure. Also are the clutches especially the rear operating properly when running in neutral and giving it throttle (belt tightens up)?? Usually on non ebs systems its either the belt, worn ramp buttons in rear clutch OR both when problems come up. The belt can be tightened by removing shims from inside the rear clutch. There are usually THREE shims and at least ONE has to be left in. BUT this should NOT have to be done on a new belt!! OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes in neutral the belt tightens up as it should, here come some idiot questions, the secondary is the rear correct. and what are the Buttons exactly I see nothing on the rear, and is there a puller needed to remove the rear clutch.? on a side note I got all 4 wheels off the ground to see what the 4x4 was like it felt weird.. when I engage 4x4 seems to work on but when i disengage the left front continues to turn, bad hub? if possible old polaris tech I would like to speak to you, thanks so much

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

yes in neutral the belt tightens up as it should, here come some idiot questions, the secondary is the rear correct. and what are the Buttons exactly I see nothing on the rear, and is there a puller needed to remove the rear clutch.? on a side note I got all 4 wheels off the ground to see what the 4x4 was like it felt weird.. when I engage 4x4 seems to work on but when i disengage the left front continues to turn, bad hub? if possible old polaris tech I would like to speak to you, thanks so much
If you are not familiar with the rear clutch especially,I would get a manual!! The ramp buttons are inside the clutch,plus clutch has to be rewound if replacement buttons are needed. Same for the awd,could be a sticking armature plate?? A manual will help explain a lot of problems! OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will have to do that, I just cant wrap my mind about the belt being that that l loose with the correct belt part # 3211077 on a fixed setup. I ran the straight edge across the top and had nearly 3"! how is it possible...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still think its a problem in the rear clutch causing that much slack?? Look at Pure Polaris Parts Catalog online and you will see the parts breakdown. OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The local polaris dealer gave me a 3211077, I put this belt on and did way better a couple trips up and down the road then back to slipping terribly.. I personally feel its too long my self but what do I know, please feel free to make suggestions its really starting to make me mad, Again it is a 2001 sportsman 400 4x4 THANKS SO MUCH
OOOOPs, did not know they made a 400 2 stroke Sportsman in 2001, but that is the right belt.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

like ftwflh said its most likely a bad burned belt. while the cover is over clean the clutches out w/ at leaste compressed air to get rid of the belt dust and buy a POLARIS boem belt and tell the kids to use low range next time [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Exactly. You beat me too it, stendori. Hi gear at low speed and heavy loads is guaranteed to burn a belt.

It there's a lot of residue scrub it with an old toothbrush and use some kind of cleaner if you have to. Be very careful where you spray it. I like to use starting fluid to clean all kinds of dirty and greasy things because it's cheaper than any parts cleaner I've seen. But it leaves oil that needs to be washed off. Hot soapy water will do. If you wash the pulley surfaces let them dry before you ride.

I always use OEM belts but the new Goodyear belt is supposed to be self-healing. It may be able to handle more abuse. Any one use belts other than Polaris?
go to truck pro or any other class 8 parts house,..brake cleaner in arasiol cans,..cleanest lest residue spray for any parts! what many race teams use to clean motor an parts before assembly!!! bout same price as startin fluid an can last 3 times as long!!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

My local auto parts store stocks a Gates belt for the Polaris ATV without engine braking. It is only $35 and I would rather use one of them than the Polaris belt. They last longer.

They are very strong.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 400 clutch of belt?