Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 400 clutch of belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 400 clutch of belt?

I have a 2002 Sportsman 400. I bought it a year ago and it ran fine until my kids helped my neighbor pull out his atv that was stuck on the side of a creek bank. Now it has lost power. I dont mean engine power, but it sounds as if the belt is slipping. It wont pull up the hilsa as it once did. At first I noticed in Hi gear, but now it also does it in reverse.
I removed the clutch cover and took off the belt. It is really loose fitting - to the point tha it just slipped off. Also, I noticed there seemed to be some belt "burn residue" on the front clutch. The belt is starting to crank between the cleats. I ran it a few feet with the cover off and every once in a while (going up my rock pile), I noticed the belt slipped at the back clutch. Meaning it did not turn the back clutch.
Obviously the belt needs replaced. However, does this sound like it may also be a clutch problem, or just the belt being the issue?
I can tell the sides of the belt has been burnt some also.
Please... Ant feedback will be of great help!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belt!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like ftwflh said its most likely a bad burned belt. while the cover is over clean the clutches out w/ at leaste compressed air to get rid of the belt dust and buy a POLARIS boem belt and tell the kids to use low range next time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

like ftwflh said its most likely a bad burned belt. while the cover is over clean the clutches out w/ at leaste compressed air to get rid of the belt dust and buy a POLARIS boem belt and tell the kids to use low range next time [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Exactly. You beat me too it, stendori. Hi gear at low speed and heavy loads is guaranteed to burn a belt.

It there's a lot of residue scrub it with an old toothbrush and use some kind of cleaner if you have to. Be very careful where you spray it. I like to use starting fluid to clean all kinds of dirty and greasy things because it's cheaper than any parts cleaner I've seen. But it leaves oil that needs to be washed off. Hot soapy water will do. If you wash the pulley surfaces let them dry before you ride.

I always use OEM belts but the new Goodyear belt is supposed to be self-healing. It may be able to handle more abuse. Any one use belts other than Polaris?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks a ton!!! I didnt even know the kids had done it. A neighbor (different one than got stuck) came and told me. Had I not show up, my bike would have been water logged BIG TIME!!! TEENAGERS!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: medicsanders

thanks a ton!!! I didnt even know the kids had done it. A neighbor (different one than got stuck) came and told me. Had I not show up, my bike would have been water logged BIG TIME!!! TEENAGERS!!</end quote></div>

That's why I don't have kids. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I really love kids but I like just being an uncle. That way I don't have to pay for any of the damage they cause. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sportsman 400 very loose belt

I just bout an 01 sportsman that the belt is extreamly loose on it is an oem polaris newer belt but i can pull it right off, cannot ride at all, any ideas

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Range Rover

Get a new belt?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by bowtieordie
I just bout an 01 sportsman that the belt is extreamly loose on it is an oem polaris newer belt but i can pull it right off, cannot ride at all, any ideas
If the belt does not have "3211069" printed on it then its the wrong belt for the ATV.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

The local polaris dealer gave me a 3211077, I put this belt on and did way better a couple trips up and down the road then back to slipping terribly.. I personally feel its too long my self but what do I know, please feel free to make suggestions its really starting to make me mad, Again it is a 2001 sportsman 400 4x4 THANKS SO MUCH

Quick Reply: Sportsman 400 clutch of belt?