Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

lost on axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost on axle

hi i have a 06 scrambler that i am having problems with i need to replace the bearings on the rear axel and i have no ideal on how to take it off. this is my first atv so i'm learning as i go. and is this going to cost me alot of $$$$ fix, and is this something i can do ?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Default lost on axle

it should be really easy to do iv had to do this to mi trailblazer the scammy and the tblazers are the same set up in the rear end now have u torn into the rearend at all?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Default lost on axle

well the easyest way to do it is pull both rear wheels off the axle pull the wheel hub off of one side remove the chain or u could losen itup enough to set it over off of the sprocket and than seprat the brake caliper remove te c-clip off the side of the brake cliper pull the sleve off of the nut which should slide twards the wheel which should be on the left side if ur looking at the *** end....(remove that hub also not the right) than there should be a large nut that u have to remove i cant reamber which way it will go than remove the 3 or 4 nuts holding on the brake disk on nad than ur axle should slide out to the right ur right side seal and bearing should pull out with the axle and ur left side shold pop out with a screw driver and than clean up all the old greas out of the houseing and than all u have to do is put in ur new bearins and seals and than reasamble every thing in the oppsite it came apart

Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

thanks alot... the only thing is . is that i cant get the axle out. the bearings have shreaded in side the housing. i think i got all the peices out . there is whats left of the bearing ring on the axle and i cant get it to come off. can i beat it out or will it hurt something i know not to beat on the axle itself. will it hurt the splines as that ring goes over them? thanks again

Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Default lost on axle

hmmmmm so the bearings let go inside the rear house ??? if i understand u correctly....now do u have every thing off of the axle? u should be able to pop off the seals on ither side depending on which way u take it out the axle...im sorry im not much help from here out i know theres others on here who can help and or correct me if im rong and or have a way to get the axle out

Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

How did you manage to get the big nut loose? I've been working on mine for about an hour and can't seem to get it to budge. It's not rusted at all and I've tried everything in my bag of tricks to get it to let go,,, I'm begining to think that someone used red loctite on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

O, and it is a standard nut,,, correct? Meaning counterclockwise loosens and clockwise tightens?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

it took me awhile to get the axle nut off to i thought the samething. i just took the screw all the way out and pried it open alittle bit with a screwdriver and it made it easier to get off, ........ i didnt have to pop the seals off they did it for me thats the only thing that was still in one piece.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

You lost me at the screw. Which screw did you take all the way out? Did your jam nut have a set screw in it? The nut that's giving me fits is the jam nut that butt's up against the rotor hub. I tried removing the one on the sprocket side and it's just as tight. What type of tool did you use to remove it?

I'm really starting to think that someone used red loctite now. I can slide both the sprocket & brake hub on the shaft just a little bit. But, that jam nut is still so tight that I can barely budge it with a po' boy impact.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla.../detail.php?id=404552

And, that tool will usually break loose nuts that are rusted solid.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Range Rover
Default lost on axle

i took a pic of it , its on my page but i dont know how to post it on here like you did.

Quick Reply: lost on axle