Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

do you guys have any other toys/hobbys,post some pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you guys have any other toys/hobbys,post some pics

Not sure if it really is another hobby since we do both, often on the same trip.

Name:  DSCN4846.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  32.3 KB

We couldn't decide which we enjoyed more, so we haul bikes and ATV's around. The kids love the independence and they can't ride on the back of our machines forever. Our favorite is still to take the day-long ATV rides. I don't see us ever getting ride of either though. I need a rock-crawling, gear hauling, hunting machine too often.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Not to sure how to many the pictures show, instead of a link....

Here is my BABY!! 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 15 inch lift with 42's and so much more! SHOW no GO!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/101485/night%20time%201.jpg
">http://forums.atvconnection.co...%20time%201.jpg
</a>

http://forums.atvconnection.co...101485/Picture%201.jpg

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I collect and shoot guns. No pics, but I have a couple of poodle-shooters and a deer/bear rifle, a couple of shotguns, and several pistols, from mouse-gun to hand-cannon size.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Name:  DSC00309.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  156.3 KB

Name:  DSC00228.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  DSC00159.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  106.4 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Name:  Picsofmycarwiththenewwheels012.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  27.0 KB
Name:  Picsofmycarwiththenewwheels009.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  30.0 KB
Name:  Picsofmycarwiththenewwheels004.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  Picsofmycarwiththenewwheels003.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  30.1 KB
Name:  Carinterior033.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  17.7 KB
I was big into street cars. This is the mustang I'm trying to sell so I can get another big quad. 506 RWHP with a ProCharger and nitrous.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Here's one of my other hobbies, I tend to change hobbies fairly often[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
900 RWHP Twin Turbo Cobra

Name:  100_3362.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  112.9 KB

Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Cool Toys.
Well we have a small farm and raise a few critters on that. I use the ATV's for chores around the farm.

I have been a techie type since I was about 15. I build most of my own computers and do the same for others. I use this avenue to keep up my Computer Knowledge.
I like to see Technology doing more than sitting in the corner. It already is more powerful than the computers used to send a man into space. Why can't we use it to make our life what we want.

Since my occupation is and IT Project Manager I dont' get much direct contact with IT there.

One of my Hobbies is Homebuilt Personal Video Recorders (PVR's) Similar to a TiVo but a lot more capable and only I control who knows what I watch.

Here is a screenshot from my main tv.

The system is linux based built around MythTV using a distribution called Knoppmyth. It is probably the most mature platform out there.

This picture is the Web interface. I can access this from anywhere in my house or even on the road.

Actually anything placed on the machines, is accessible to anyone in my home network.
I like Older movies, ones that had real story lines and a plot. especially SciFi.
With a PVR you can capture say a really cool movie, and in my case I transfer them to SD cards and watch them on my Pocket pc when I travel.
My entertainment on my terms...
And the Pc's that run this and do all the work are recycled 2 Athlon's and one Athlon 64. 2-5 yr old boxes at least.

Another Hobby is using PC's for full home control, Lights, Fans, eventually heat, etc. It is really just growing and soon you can have a pc make decisions on when the dishwasher should run based on Electric and Water rates.

Regards

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

BigFarmToyz,

I assume you are running KNOPPIX distro?
I played abit with it on my laptop.

So what adv. do you have to control
your elec. appliances with your PC? Also,
don't you need some hardware devices to
manage them?

Cheers,

R'

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok now my wifes the vet damn it lol i wouldnt mind having the mustang i miss mine .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

R'
Actually the distro is debian derivative. I am by no means the creator on that one, but I do follow it.
It is built strictly as an appliance although you can add additional parts to make it a full desktop.
That adds weight to the o/s which starts pushing you towards needing more Horsepower (CPU) sound familiar.

Right now I have mostly X10 based devices. If you had looked into them at all you see, they have few limitations.
I have a CM module that runs macros for home control IT is fed via my PC (Windows O/S) but only when I want to change programming or the PC could take info from Utilities and with the right software feed instructions to the box to execute commands at a set time. Additonally, I have a couple small scripts on the Linux side to dim lights in my Living room for the "Theatre" experience. Linux has a few Web based apps that are looking promising.

As this is an old Farmhouse I haven't looked into a rewire for Appliance control. I have a couple of 220V controllers for Irrigation and Heating control but the current is limited on these devices. They are still a little light or more importantly the appliances still draw too many amps for a plug in or attach to device. Additionally I have some wall sockets, and even some plug in modules both 2 and 3 prong, that I manage lights and fans for cooling throughout my house and out to my Barn over 250 ft away. Those are nice when I look out at 11 at night and my Son has left a light on. Just hit the button on my box, Out. The wife likes that, because we are known to have wild critters roaming at night.

I have 2 or 3 of these remotes, they are RF but they go to a dedicated Channel controller, that would allow you to control 16 devices. There is no limit to how many devices can be controlled from the pc programmed controller I mentioned above. It only has a memory issue when you start programming macros for it. say press button a then the box does steps b-z or what ever in a sequence.

Hardwire is one of the most recent systems but it usually isn't cost effective for an existing house. If it is a new one, there are a couple of standards that are offered for Home control devices. They work well, but from what I have seen the software is still somewhat primitive for doing more than basic control.

Now however, there are some new devices coming along that are RF control. Those are going to be sweet as soon as prices drop a bit. They will work nice in a remodel or retrofit. As I find more info on those I may have to dig up some bucks to buy a couple.

All of it is a lot of fun, keeps the wife happy. If she is happy I get more Toys!

Quick Reply: do you guys have any other toys/hobbys,post some pics