Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

adjust fuel screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008 | 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default adjust fuel screw

You probably have an early build '06, which means that it was jetted improperly from the factory. The early '06 Hawkeyes were jetted too rich. The '06 Hawkeye I had was a late build, but still benefitted from a K&N filter, which leaned it out a little and made it run even better.

What you'll need to do is replace the main jet with a smaller size. The float bowl has to come off in order to access the main jet. If you're not familiar with how to do this, its best to take it in. The dealer should be able to tell you, per the Polaris Service Bulletin, what size main jet needs to be in there. I'd say that you need to come down two sizes on the main jet.

Good luck. If your dealer can't help you or doesn't know, tell us and I'll stop by my dealer and find out for you.

ADDED:

Found THIS thread. It has information in it on jet sizes.

BTW, if you do a search on "Hawkeye jetting" you'll find lots more information on this subject. The problem was widespread with early build Hawkeyes.

Old 06-07-2008 | 04:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

sory but i didnt make it clear, i have an 01 polaris magnnum 325. but its just at full throttle it has no power and bogs. any ideas?

Old 06-07-2008 | 06:39 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Put the airbox lid back on and try it. Then come back with your results.

Old 06-07-2008 | 06:55 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

im just wonderin, i got the 06 hawkeye 4X4 and people have said it sometimes comes rich from the factory. i just checked my spark plug and it is BLACK, like a piece of burnt wood. is it probably rich?</end quote></div>

If your plug is black, its not even close to being right, way to rich. As a novis (& to make it easy to start somewhere with the tuning) concentrate on getting the white porcelain insulator inside the threaded area to just show some color. Light grey or tan is safe. With todays fuel, its had to get color sometimes. Todays tuners look for a white insulator and like a bit of carbon on the ground electrode or base of the threaded area. This may be a little hard to recognize for a beginner so this will keep it simple to start.

Put a new plug in, run it for about 1/8-1/4 mi at <u>full throttle</u> and while it is at full throttle shut the key off and stop. THIS IS CALLED A THROTTLE CHOP. Pull the plug and look for what I have described.

WEAR A "HELMET & HANG ON.

Then get back to us. Others may have additional info.

Old 06-08-2008 | 11:17 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

thanks to everyone i put the airbox and plugged everything back and it worked