Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sportsman...???...!!!

I would almost bet that it would have a unique name to set it apart

Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, something like Carnivore or Maverick or Carnage, or maybe something from the past like... Predator?

Honestly, I don't care what they call it. If it's light, quick, over-powered, and well-suspended, I'm gonna get one.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know..

I like my new Sportsman 800 EFI Touring for what it is. Rugged powerhouse with all the giz, ADC, On Demand 4x4, winch, racks, turf mode switch, gun rack! (But Stacey, why a gun rack? I don't even have a gun!) close to 60 BHP, beautiful alloy wheels and a whole variety of possible accessories available from a local Polaris dealer near you.
Why not just be happy for what we have? One day it might be taken away from us. This might of course all change when I see the new Polaris lineup for 2009.

While you are thinking about this I urge you to listen to some Icelandic music while you're at it (no, not Björk) http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBTH2E5QPEE

Arrivaderchi!

(I do have a gun)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IcelandATVRider

(But Stacey, why a gun rack? I don't even have a gun!)

Let alone many guns to necessitate a rack.

I don't expect you to believe this Iceland, being to much of a coincidence but I watched that movie last night.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That music was better than Icelandic Death Metal. I love hard rock and heavy metal, but Black Metal/Death Metal can be a bit much.

I was pretty happy with the last quad I had. And the one before that too. Whenever they changed the steering geometry between my '97 and my '01 Sportsman I was very happy. I love the EFI and if they never changed another thing it would still be a great quad for years to come. I don't much care if the plastic is smooth curves or flat and angular either. It's what's underneath that counts, but some people want a new look. I'd rather have a twin than a single cylinder for a few technical reasons, but my 500s have all been great. If they could lighten the frame, without making it break like my friend's Grizzly, that would be cool. There's not much else I would change if I could.

Any improvements from here on will likey be small advances in technology rather than a totally new concept. Then again, we are talking about Polaris, who blew everyone away with the RZR.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Bring in the carbon fiber! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RandyL

Is it true taht suzuki had IRS first......... ? And that another manufaturer had the first true full automatic? But yet polaris was the first to apply both of those good features on the same machine?</end quote></div>

The 300 Suzuki King Quad had both IRS and diff lock (True 4wd) back in 95 or even earlier.

I must say Polaris was ahead of its time, Our 97 Sportsman 500 is still much more enjoable to ride than some of my friends newer ATVs such as a 2007 Foreman and a 450 Grizzly.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Should I Dare say it. Big Bore hawkeye. 800 twin would give one enough snap out of the whole. That and some offset rear arms to stretch the wheelbase (Hell we need these for the regular hawkeyes, anyone got some busted rear arms??) to place some larger tires under it.

Rokon definately beat Polaris to the belt driven auto atv...

Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Rokon doesn't have enough wheels to be an ATV, but I always wished Polaris would make an off-road bike too. I want something that does more than just putt-putt down the trails. I was thinking something like a 500 H.O. engine, about a foot of suspension, and a foot wide rear tire. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] When I was looking at Rokons several years ago they had 4.5 HP engines, then they switched to bigger lawnmower engines. Enough power to mow the lawn, but nothing like the 35+ HP of a quad. I think the only suspension was a spring in the seat, too.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Trailblazer

Your right frank they are very spartan, but thats what makes them effective.

awd witha overrunning sprag clutch to keep the steering light, 4.5hp kohler to keep the fuel economy good, belt driven auto, 3 gear ranges, 30 inches of agricultural tire, disk brake. operating speed of anyplace between 0 mph and 35 mph. The real highlight is the 208 lbs dry weight. thats about half the tire as the popo and about 35% of the weight. The only downside is there about as much money MSRP as a Sportsman 500, and there like riding a ATC90

Polaris doesn't make a dirt bike, because if they did, it would be a Rokon Trailbreaker. Although guys remotor them with subaru's if that makes you feel any better.

Quick Reply: new sportsman...???...!!!