Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint assembly help

New member and first post!

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI

Front outer CV joint

Dummy me I forgot to take note of the cage position when I took the joint apart to clean it. Does anyone know if the thinner edge of the cage goes towards the wheel or towards the middle of the axle? I've tried looking for pics or exploded views but have found nothing. I found something by cvman about the gear side joint but not the wheel side.

I need to get this thing back together tomorrow so I can go out this weekend so any help is appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the Polaris boot kit comes with enough grease to fill the cleaned joint and the boot? If not what grease should I use to fill the boot? Whats the equivalent grease at autozone and the like?

Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is just a guess from memory. but isnt the cage sorta of beveled which i beleave go into the cv hub. the grease that comes w/ the joint is plenty to grease the joint. make sure you do not get grease under the 2 clamp seats on the inside when putting it back together as it would not hold the little groove and might slide out when you try to put it back together. kinda hard to explaine but hope you no what i mean.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Go to BikeBandit.com and you can see the breakdown of it blown up big enough that you can see it.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

both edges are beveled but if you look closer one edge is curved more, that is the end you want out towards the shaft, not the cv cavity. did you disassemble the entire cv for cleaning or are all the ***** still in the joint? if it is still together the small cup of grease that comes with boot is enough, but if cv is totally, clean you will need to buy 2 extra cups, available from dealer. the cup is enough to fill the boot itself but not enough for the cv, cv and boot require 100 grams of grease total, the little cup they give you is about 30 grams of grease.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

this is just a guess from memory. but isnt the cage sorta of beveled which i beleave go into the cv hub. the grease that comes w/ the joint is plenty to grease the joint. make sure you do not get grease under the 2 clamp seats on the inside when putting it back together as it would not hold the little groove and might slide out when you try to put it back together. kinda hard to explaine but hope you no what i mean.</end quote></div>

One side of the cage is beveled. After doing more research last night I found someone else who said the beveled edge should point towards the axle and not the cup. Not sure if thats what you were describing.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

one side should have a tighter curve to it look. is joint all apart or is the joint still in the cv cavity?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SCRAMBLER500XXX

both edges are beveled but if you look closer one edge is curved more, that is the end you want out towards the shaft, not the cv cavity. did you disassemble the entire cv for cleaning or are all the ***** still in the joint? if it is still together the small cup of grease that comes with boot is enough, but if cv is totally, clean you will need to buy 2 extra cups, available from dealer. the cup is enough to fill the boot itself but not enough for the cv, cv and boot require 100 grams of grease total, the little cup they give you is about 30 grams of grease.</end quote></div>

The joint is completely apart. I don't know how long the boot was ripped and wanted to clean it completely.

Looking at the cage, one edge is definitely thinner than the other. There is a rim around one side that is about an 1/8 inch wide while the other is thin and tapered. Just to make sure I have the terminology right the thing I am calling the cage is the round item that holds the ***** between the cup and star shaped race.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

yes that is the cage

Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

According to the service and parts manual the grease in the kit is 3.5oz and that should equal 100 grams. Not saying you are wrong I'm just going by what the book is telling me.

Also I called cvman and he thinks the tapered edge goes into the cup which is what stendori said too. hopefully the service tech at the dealer will tell me the same and I will have 3 out of 4 same answers.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well ive done 3 of them and you get enough grease in the packet from polaris to do the job. imo.

Quick Reply: CV Joint assembly help