Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow

Who plows with their Polaris? I wanna get a plow for next winter. After last winters snow fall, I DO NOT wanna shovel again!

A buddy of mine is gonna sell me A Moose (I think) plow that he is not using.
I gotta get the mounting plate and I am ready.

Are tire chains a must? and How much snow will a 500 HO with a plow handle?

I have a long straight dirt driveway that opens up in front of the house.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow

Skinny, you will be amazed at just how much snow your 500 will move! The best advice I can give you is push early snows out as far as posible to give yourself room for later snowfall

Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow

In 10 years using my atv to plow with there is 1 time that chains would have helped that is when we had a melt - freeze - then snow so was on glare ice. As jok said plow it as far out as can early in the season. You can also plow up into banks by lifting the plow as you go up if needed

Besides plowing is a blast.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

Skinny, you will be amazed at just how much snow your 500 will move! The best advice I can give you is push early snows out as far as posible to give yourself room for later snowfall</end quote></div>

Yes I already planned on doing that. One side of my drive way drops off pretty good into the woods. I will push the snow over the drop off!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plow

All of the above advice is good advice. Two things I'll add is don't let the snow get too deep if you can and don't hit it hard like you would in a truck, take it slow and easy and you will avoid having to strengthen and refabricate mounts like most of us here have learned the hard way! You have plenty of power and should never need tire chains. If you do, time to use a tractor or contract out! LOL!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow

I have a Moose plow and it has worked great with no problems for three seasons now, about 250 inches of snow each season. I haven't had to use chains either. My 500 actually plowed the equivalent of 500 inches of snow the first year, as I kept my neighbor's driveway plowed out all winter long. My 800 plows snow very well. Now the two Sportsmans share the plowing chores. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'll try to find some pics.

THIS THREAD HAS SOME PICS

Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>about 250 inches of snow each season</end quote></div>

YUCK!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plow

I DO, I DO! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a Glacier plow that I like a lot better than the CMP I used to have. I've been plowing about 10 winters too. When we had that storm that shut down the whole city of Detroit, maybe 5 years ago, we had even more snow here in Flint. It took the city a whole week to get around to plowing the side streets, but I plowed my whole block, curb to curb. When I plow my driveway I push the snow right off the end, all the way back to the fence. I end up with a pile as big as my shed by the end of winter.

I never use tire chains but I put 60-pound sandbags on the rear rack for more traction. You can put up to 3 bags of tubesand on it. With my old-style plow, every time I raised the plow the front end dove. That made the rear suspension unload and the rear tires would lose traction. The sandbags kept it on the ground. The Glacier plow doesn't tilt the quad like that when I raise it. I have always used a winch to raise and lower the blade on all 3 Sp 500s and never owned a manual lift.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow

Thanks guys! Sheepdog, that is a really nice machine!!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plow

I just looked at the other thread Sheepdog. Nice pix. I didn't realize you were from da U.P. That makes you an expert on snow. I see you use tubesand too. I always had 8" rack extensions, and with the Lock and Ride backrest all the way back, two of those sandbags fit in there just like they were made for it. You don't even need to tie them down, but I use an extra pair of tie-down straps I have.

My old plow was 50" plus the side shields, and the new one is 52", so I've always been able to clear a path for the tires. The 48" plows some people get don't make any sense unless they plow dirt the rest of the year.

Quick Reply: Plow