Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

fuel pump goin bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump goin bad?

The main jet is in the carb. You have to pull the float bowl to get at it. If you have never done this you might want someone who has done this, do this for you.

"before im gona do anything else im gona check the fuel lines/tank. "
Smart man!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

ya, im good at workin on things cuz i have been into the nitro rc hobby so i know about carbs and all that, but if there isnt anything in the fuel system ill check the main jet. is there a fuel filter or anything between the fuel tank and the carb?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

yes sir there is a fuel filter... look between your fuel shutoff under the tank and carb... looks like a bigger r/c fuel filter if you run those...
your dealer is wrong saying there is not a fuel pump on the hawkeye.. go to bikebandit and look up pn: 5172540-001 and tell your dealer he's dumb...

and hawkman check this spark plug color to see how it's burning

Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

well i dont have my atv with me right now cuz im at another house but i will check the spark plug it this afternoon or tomorrow, and it looks most like normal. there is no irregular stuff or shape on it. it just looked black like a piece of a burnt stick just after maintenance before it messed up, and now it looks the same except the center rod and the arm that goes over the rod are more white.

and i have seen that fuel pump on the hawkeye and was wondering what it was, how does it work?

and the more it is run (like 5 minutes), and the warmer the outside temp is, the worse the symptoms get, could that help at all to finding out what the problem is?

and thanks for all the help guys, just tryin to learn and do what i can.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son had a very similar problem with his car.....it would shut down when it got hot....usually just sputter after 1/2 throttle. Stop and let it cool for 5 mins, then runs fine til hot. It was his fuel pump. I suspect the same for your hawkeye. I would like to think it wouldn't be since it is a 2006, but I had an 06 Rhino that went through two fuel pumps. In that case, it just didn't pump fuel. I don't think it has anything to do with the KN filter, just coincidence....I hate it when that happens, always makes me chase my tail! LOL! I would replace the fuel filter and check the fuel lines as well as pull the carb and clean it out good, it could have dirt in it and be clogged simply from changing the filter....knock some dirt loose in between the carb and filter and cause the same sort of problem. I remember rejetting my carb recently and somehow got some dirt in it. Never really thought it could happen as I am careful about a "sterile" environment when doing so. Anywho, it happened and it took me a bit to figure it out. I experienced some sputtering and lack of throttle, but not a sporadic event like yours. I'm still leaning toward a fuel pump problem....

Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

ya, well its weird tho cuz if it was the fuel pump, wouldnt it just stop working altogether, or could it sputter in and out like that?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have known fuel pumps to work poorly or not at all...so, yes, it is weird, but not unusual.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

They are easy to change out, btw. No need for a mechanic. Maybe you could replace it and if that's not it, they would let you return it? My dealer was cool with that when I had the probs with the Rhino....

Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

You may be experiencing "purculation" from the high ambient tempreture. Thats when fuel in the pump and/or carb turns to a vapour and causes sysmptons as you described. Its also called vapour lock. My question is why now, so close after servicing. Have you ridden it when its been this hot before? I suspect you may also have done something additional that you've forgotten or failed to mention. Did you do anything to the carb or adjustments.

Everything you've done should not have caused it to run lean. I'd take the KN and prefilter of and put the stk filter back and try it.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Oh yeah, the non existent fuel pumps part # is 3089760.

Quick Reply: fuel pump goin bad?