Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

fuel pump goin bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump goin bad?

ya, i know where the fuel pump is, just never recognized it as a fuel pump before. the problem is paying for it, $100 not that much, but my parents dont like to spend much money on it.

and i have ridden in before maintenance in 95-100*F weather so hard and hot that i couldnt put my feet in the footwells because the engine was so hot. and i rode it hard and hot for almost 2 hours straight the weekend that i did all the maintenance and K&N filter and it ran awesome.

and i just got back from riding it back and forth to a friends house, 5-10 minutes, and its 65*F and same symptoms but not as bad cuz it doesnt heat up as quick. for the first 3-5 minutes i rode it today, and havent rode it for 2 days, it ran like it did after the maintenance. good excelleration throughout all RPMs and so symptoms at all. then, they just slowly progress until it just wont get enough fuel.

also, it has always done this since the symptoms started: i will pull the choke all the way out once the symptoms start to keep it running. and it creeps along at 5-10 mph but if i barely throttle it, it starts to cut out. if i floor it, it starts to cut out and then i guess the fuel gets there in time and it launches until the fuel flow slows back down.

i think ill take the atv back to the other house to work on it this weekend and see if i can find it out.

and mongrol, i dont think it could have anything to do with the filter or servicing just because i rode it so hard before and it just instantly acts up a week later. no adjustments at all, just the K&N. and that vapour lock basically turns liquid to gas and puts gas "bubbles" into the fuel lines?

thanks again for all the help guys!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

have you tried it with the stock air filter on it to see if it helped... it could be easier to do things that way just to see what might be causing the problem... IDK [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

k, ill try that. but goin on vacation for 10 days this sunday, so cant do anything soon cuz i dont have the atv wit me.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

ya, i know where the fuel pump is, just never recognized it as a fuel pump before. the problem is paying for it, $100 not that much, but my parents dont like to spend much money on it.

</end quote></div>

ok that is rebuildabe
all it is is 2 diaframs and a couple screens and some plastic things and there is an easy way to check it. just take the hose coming crom the tank and blow you should be able to blow threw. then take the hose going to the carb and blow in that way it shouldn't let you. and then take the other one going to the engine and you will be able to blow a tiny bit but not a stedy blow and you might not notice being able to blow a lil bit i coulnd't see the rebuild kit being over 15 dollars.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.seadoosource.com/images/40ifuelpumpkit.jpg

this will be something like the kit you can find somewere. just take all of the screws on top off and slide it apart whatch what order things are in and don't be afraid to take digital pictures just to make shure it is prety self explanitory on how it works and how it has to go together for it to work properly

Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

k, thanks sprinter. ill check into that once i get back.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

just got here 10 PM today, so cant ride it and just started lookin at it and it looks like the fuel tube on the left side connecting to the carb isnt on the metal carb tube attacher long enough. it is the tube that attaches on a long bending fuel rod on the carb. there is unburnt fuel residue on the end of the fuel tubing where it attaches. ill put it on farther and attach it really tight and see if that fixes it, but could that be it? it would make sense because the hotter it gets the more flexible the rubber tubing gets and the more it lets seep out.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

yea it can seap out or suck air and when it sucks in air it can caus a vapor lock and won't run good or wont run at all. so try that and see it it helps.