Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

burned by the predator

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burned by the predator

Anyone out there own a predator? I got one last november, and finally got to take it out on the trails where I usually ride last weekend. I wore shorts, becasue it's always very muddy. I used to have a raptor 350, and never had any problems, but I have a blister on my leg from the heat off the exhaust. I can also feel the heat on the left side of the seat. Does anyone make an aftermarket heat shield, or something you can weld or clamp on the head pipe to discipate some of the heat? Also, I had a hell of a time to keep from stalling it in some mud holes, and up some narrow uphill trails. how much top end would I loose if I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket? Would I be better off with an aftermarket exhaust for the low end power, and would it possibly take out some of the heat on the head pipe since the exhaust flow would increase? For the record, I did have my wife on the back. this may have made it harder to start off uphill. needless to say, the predator has wicked mid, and top end power, but it has almost nothing on the low end. What is the best way to fix that, without having to worry about standing it up on end at 1/2 throttle in 2nd gear?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. First, the preddy is known for its mid to top end power, which is where they usually pull away from the competition. That said, the bottom end leaves much to be desired. I prefer to have my power on the bottom end for trail riding and I really don't like going 80mph on it, back end likes to walk away from me and gives me an uncomfortable feeling! So, if you read my signature, you can see my mods. This will give you incredible bottom end power (you will find yourself riding wheelies everywhere). Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket (13 tooth) will give you about 10% more power on the bottom end. You can try that first ($15), then work your way up ($$$)! As for a heat shield, the stock header pipe has one, or should, and it does a pretty good job I have found. I have a complete HMF system, so no heat shield. I usually ride with jeans (kinda the rule), but sometimes ride with shorts. Just have to remember your leg position and ride toward the back of the seat or with your right leg out. Usually burning yourself once will do the trick! LOL! Otherwise, you would have to fab something up to block the heat. As for heat on the left side, I have never experienced that. Not sure you should either?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Forgot, you also lose about 10% on the top end by going down one tooth on the front sprocket. And, you could try wrapping your head pipe? And for carrying a passenger, it changes everything on a sporty....your power, suspension, etc. I never liked to carry a passenger on one, just completely changes the ride and takes away the fun factor. Also, can be dangerous, especially pulling a hill. Putting around okay. Just my 2 cents....

Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey greg..I have a predator and I have a couple questions...what year is your preddy and it is a troy lee or a standard. I went from a 14 tooth on the front to a 13 tooth and it is great....low end is helped out and the wheelies are easier....trail riding is much better too. I agree that having a rider on the sport bikes isnt the greatest.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Well, my wife is pretty clingy, so she ends up going with me almost all the time. It kind of helps me out, because it is practically a swamp in about 1/4 of the trails, so she helps to push me out when we get stuck. I used to have a raptor 350, and I did try some header wrap on it to help keep the exhaust heat off the engine at lower speeds, but it made the part of the pipe that wasn't wraped extremely hot. If I use the wrap on the pred, I'm afaraid the muffler will get so hot that it will warp the plastic. Also, if I loose 10% of my top end with the smaller sprocket, would installing a rev box get most of it back?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

I seen a guy that put that tape on the plastic and under the side panels to block heat, I dont know if that would work for you or not.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

It's an '07 TLD. The thing that worries me is the sudden hit of power when it gets into the meat of the powerband. Wheelies are fun, but the unexpected ones can be dangerous. Also, if you saw the area where I ride, you'd understand why I take my wife. A lot of the trail sections are a swamp, and she's pretty small, but she sure helps a lot to get it out of the soup. Not to mention, the trails are tight, and rutted from utility quads, so I can't really fly around there too much anyways. It keeps her from getting pissed since she goes too, instead of sitting home, and being pissed when I get home.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Had the same No Low End power. I put 1 tooth bigger rear sprocket on and am very satisfied. I used to have to feather the clutch through all the mud holes and crossing creeks sucked I'd have the thing almost in the rev limiter just to keep it going.

As for the heat shield it should have one, but even so I still burn my leg if I wear shorts cause I ride so far forward and the sheild gets extremely hot too.

Not sure your 07 should be fine but I know on the 03s there are breather tubes from the carb. routed below the motor and if you get in water above them they screw with it. Fix is to route the right side one toward the front into the tube frame.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I run a HMF full system and it helps the low end considerably. It made it so it can lug so much better and it is more constant through the powerband

Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Range Rover

You shld just get the wife a used 4x4 to go ride with you! You cld have more fun and when ya get stuck she can just pull you out! Its the other way for me the wife has the trail blazer and I have the Sportsman, so i do the pulling [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: burned by the predator