Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch Spooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Spooling

Fairly new to the forum and I just got my 2 new quads about 3 weeks ago. The newest promotion for a "free" winch helped seal the deal, but it wasn't until I started reading this forum that I came across this type of stuff. Now that I've looked I'll say the winch on both my '08 700 X2 and '08 500 EFI spool over the top.

I initially put a dump bucket on the 500 to do some light gravel work on the yard. It connected to the winch, but I have to say I was sorely disappointed in how well the winch worked as well as the dump bucket. Now I realize that these dang cables have all kinds of binding problems ... so I'm starting to the research on the synthetic rope alternative.

A final comment (and question) ... I noticed that the cable was nice and neat on the winch before I used it. Since using it, though, the cable has begun to gather in the middle. Is this going to be a problem?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Spooling

So over the top it seems to be with the polaris winches.

doc_cj - i've found that the cable needs some direction when using. there isn't anything to move it back and forth to maintain even spooling unless your using your hand.

I find that after an afternoon of plowing (which only uses a foot of cable) here in the "last frontier" or a weekend mudding that my spool looks like crap. And as mentioned before - I spool it, clean it, then rewind it nice and neat as close to factory original as possible.

Synthetics are a little better but will still spool in one area if that's where the load is directing it.

Great forum - thanks for the info guys. Momma isn't going to be happy when I put new fairleads on. She was ok with 70 bucks worth of new synthetic. :-)

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Spooling

These winches do not have a levelwind - I find it best to move the cable back and forth across the drum as I retrieve to keep the line/cable evenly distributed

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Spooling

It's amazing what you find when you do a little research. Seems that these cables have a "memory" issue with the steel wire. After just a few uses the wire will start to bend based on prior usage. This is what causes some of the kinks in the wire. That's why the synthetic rope is becoming so popular. The rope doesn't have the same memory problem, so each time it coils and uncoils it will avoid kinks.

I took the dump bucket back to the retailer (thankfully they have a great return policy) and the tech said they'd had similar complaints. I guess they have similar issues -- as pointed out -- with the snowplows and other accessories that use the winch. We get about 45 inches of snow a year and I was planning on a plow, but I guess I should also include the synthetic rope.

As for the cable bunching up, I did use it today and noticed that it did spool up better when it was guided. You have to be very careful, though, since those cables can easily get a kink or even a split wire in them, and that hurts when it gets rammed into your hand. Just glad I had a good set of leather gloves on while working.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Spooling

Gloves are a must with the steel - for sure.

Incidentally I used my plow with my 800 this winter which has the Polaris winch on it spooling from the top, less of an angle while plowing, and had no problems with kinking, tangling, or breaking like i orginally did on the 500 with WARN.

I'm thinking Polaris figured most use it for buckets and plows with the occasional recovery and decided over the top was better. As mentioned early by hdoperator over the top sounds pretty standard on really heavy duty stuff.

With the exception of plowing the lines seem to take the same angle off the spool top or bottom for recovery's.

I'm about to hit order on a new line, hook, fairlead, and 10' extension from winchline.com I think. Gonna go ahead and put new one on the wifes too after reading up about the rollars being harder on the synthetics.

I know a guy who got one from them and their splicing, loops, and workmanship are pretty impressive. I did my own loop on the synthetic I did for the 500 and it can be a pain, theirs are done for you.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winch Spooling

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: doc_cj

Fairly new to the forum and I just got my 2 new quads about 3 weeks ago. The newest promotion for a "free" winch helped seal the deal, but it wasn't until I started reading this forum that I came across this type of stuff. Now that I've looked I'll say the winch on both my '08 700 X2 and '08 500 EFI spool over the top.

I initially put a dump bucket on the 500 to do some light gravel work on the yard. It connected to the winch, but I have to say I was sorely disappointed in how well the winch worked as well as the dump bucket. Now I realize that these dang cables have all kinds of binding problems ... so I'm starting to the research on the synthetic rope alternative.

A final comment (and question) ... I noticed that the cable was nice and neat on the winch before I used it. Since using it, though, the cable has begun to gather in the middle. Is this going to be a problem?</end quote></div>

Yes. Unspool the whole thing and rewind it under tension to straighten the cable stack. Do that anytime it gets too loose or bunches up. This will save you problems with the cable binding and cut down the chances of breaking the cable. I haven't broke a cable yet and I've done a lot of hard winching in the last 10-11 years. Pulled out small trees using a truck for an anchor, pulled another ATV up a steep hill, etc., with no problems as long as the cable is stacked up nice and even. If your cable bunches up in the middle or on one side, during a pull you have to stop and rewind it evenly. It's very important.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winch Spooling

You can also buy a short winchline, maybe 6-10' long, just for plowing. You have to take the expensive original cable off and store it while the cheap little cable takes all the abuse. You have to switch the cables back, of course, before you can do anything else with the winch.