Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?

I would only let my children ride it if I could govern it WAY down and keep them on flat land. I'd govern it so they couldn't build enough momentum to roll it. That's what I did even on thier little 110cc Chinese quad.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

To young never, I am Snortwheezes son i am 15. we live on a farm so when i was in first or second grade i was driving around a ford f-250 with two gravity boxes by myself. the main thing is make sure your parents trust you and dont lose there trust. if your parents dont want you to get the 500, you could look at the grizzly 350 or 450. my friend has a 350 which is pretty much unstopable, not the fastest though. It really depends on how much money you are willing to spend, what you like and can handle and what your parents think about it.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

my son is turning 12 this month, he still rides a 90, he got a late start on riding so we bought it, and turned he is a natural, took to it like walking. We will be looking to upgrade him to a bigger bike soon. But that bigger bike wont be anything larger then a 400. I know my son well I know he is not a crazy rider but that being said, he is still a kid, Hell im 29 and still get the urge to one up a buddy and do stupid things. In my honest opinion I wouldnt let im ride alone on anything larger then a 400 till he is 16

He has been nagging me to let him ride my 650, I finally let him get on and drive it with me on behind him just to see his control. He did pretty good overall, getting used to the massive power jump was different for him. But once we was done he understood why I wont let him ride it alone, and understands why he will not get anything larger then a 400 till after he is 16.

Personally I will have my child mad at me for the rest of my life for not getting them a big bike, rather then not having them aroun at all because of an accidental roll over.

Its a tuff situation with the cost of these bikes and the rate kids grow. Do you buy them a bike to big for them so they can grow into it, Or buy, sell, buy, sell as they grow.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

My 5 year old boy has better throttle control than my wife and daugther combined. I let him operate the throttle on my 800 while I steer it. He also helps me (by himslef) move it around the garage and driveway once I get it pointed in the proper direction. But he will never actually ride it by himself until he's at least 10 or 12. My point is that young ones can have the knowledge and ability to make these things go, but the risk factor is a lot higher. Kids need to learn self restraint, self control, responsibility, etc. I might have to make a video that will show my kids riding their own machines, and then switch machines to see how things work.</end quote></div>

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

My 5 year old boy has better throttle control than my wife and daugther combined. I let him operate the throttle on my 800 while I steer it. He also helps me (by himslef) move it around the garage and driveway once I get it pointed in the proper direction. But he will never actually ride it by himself until he's at least 10 or 12. My point is that young ones can have the knowledge and ability to make these things go, but the risk factor is a lot higher. Kids need to learn self restraint, self control, responsibility, etc. I might have to make a video that will show my kids riding their own machines, and then switch machines to see how things work.</end quote></div>

Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

My son is 14 and can handle my 500 HO with ease - He's also big for his age. He scares me more on his 250 Moongoose than he ever has on the 500. I feel the 500 HO is safer for him to ride than our 400 Express - Better brakes / IRS / 4 stroke -v- 2 stroke power. I won't let him ride eany of our quads without direct supervision. The ATV that he really loves to ride is our friend's RZR side by side. There are too many factors involved in this decision to base it on age alone. I know several adults that I would NEVER let ride one of my machines.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Pedge1

My son is 14 and can handle my 500 HO with ease - He's also big for his age. He scares me more on his 250 Moongoose than he ever has on the 500. I feel the 500 HO is safer for him to ride than our 400 Express - Better brakes / IRS / 4 stroke -v- 2 stroke power. I won't let him ride eany of our quads without direct supervision. The ATV that he really loves to ride is our friend's RZR side by side. There are too many factors involved in this decision to base it on age alone. I know several adults that I would NEVER let ride one of my machines.</end quote></div>

Very true indeed

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought my 14 year old girl a 08 300 sportsman,this seems just the right size for her and it has enough power for her or me to go through any thing we ride,she had it up to the headlight's in mud last weekend and just kept plowing through ,but doesn't have to much power to get away from her,it also had a very good price!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Keep in mind that you can roll your quad at 5 mph as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hMfvSk-Ww

700-800 pounds driving the handle bars into you could kill you.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

ok i am 14 and had my 400 sport since i was 8 ive been riding since i was 5 and i was able to do everything with that thats a 400 2 stroke i was able to go threw rocky areas over trees were you realy need to have perfect throttle control and be able to throw the machine around to get threw at when i was 11 i was perfect i got it over more than people got 4/4 threw becuae i was able to tap the gas and pop it over stuff. its realy strength and experience. when i was 10 i pulled muscles in my arms at least 10 times were they hirt for 4 days but was fine after i turned 11. my brother was 9 when he drove a polaris 700 sportsman on a long very technical ride in upstate ny we had to winch every atv threw one part of it and my 2/4 had to get winched threw 3 he handled it good s0. but as other people said does he need the power? were do you ride if you are in heavy thick mud and tecknical trails yes only in a feild and open trails and a lil mud and stuff no. but if you have a lil atv you are not going to hop it over a tree easily you need the power to make the front light and hit the tree pop teh front up then hit it with the back tires and pop it over and not let teh front tires land on one side of the tree when your back are on the other again this has to do with strenght can he do multiple pull ups and jerck the handle bars around back and forth and when he hits rocks hold on without getting throw off. at 12 i could se him being safe on a 500 i would drive a 800 if i could and i would be able to handle it but i am 2 years older.
When i was 11 i crossed a river with a 700 and the river had a big lip on eather side and i took a way to get out i was driving and all of a sudden one side fell i was able to hold up teh atv and keep it fromm rolling all the way over teh handle bars were already 4 inches from teh ground so it was all of the was on its side. that is teh only thing you have to be worried about could he do that if it came to it leaning over when he is on it. now anyone if it is on top of them even some grone men can lift these off of them it is just to heavy. you guys should give kids more credit my scrambler that i got when i was 11 weighs 600lb before my winch and rear rack and everything.

Quick Reply: Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?