Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: drewbad

Keep in mind that you can roll your quad at 5 mph as seen here:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hMfvSk-Ww
">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hMfvSk-Ww
</a>

700-800 pounds driving the handle bars into you could kill you.</end quote></div>

that guy was sitting down threw that section i like standing uo it is easier to moce around throw teh atv and get our of the way of it. not saying it would of helped him but that seems to help me when i get in siduations like that.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

plus having a child ride or adult has the same chance of rolling a atv and the same chance of getting hirt. what would an adult do differnet than a kid if thats on top of you you ar not lifting it off and if you can lift it up all you are doing is driving yourself down into the ground you wouldnt be able to get out. if its on top of you it is on top of you nothing you can do you have to drive with other people.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

i got my ac 90 when i was 8 and then my recon when i was 11 and i got my sportsman 700 last year, and im 14 know, so i guess go with what you feel comfortable on and can handle good

Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

wow you moved up prety quick for starting at 8 im jelouse haha i started at 5 on a yamaha 50 2stroke pewee bike

Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

Sure a 12 year old can ride a 500 sportsman... The real question is can a 12 year old control a 500 sportsman? The answer would be no for sure if you would ask a farming neighbour not to far from here. A couple of years back he lost a 12 year old kid when he became pinned under an atv.

Long story short, the kid had countless hours on the atv carrying out chores on the farm until the day he tried to turn it around beside an irrigation dicht, lost control and got his head and neck pinned under the rear rack. That's how his father found him choked to death.

A 12 year old does not have the strenght or body mass/weight required to be fully in control of an atv made for adults.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have read all the posts here and there were some pretty good arguments made! I have to concede that age can not be the only determining factor, ability and experience have to be factored in also...but how do we make that decision and who knows when young Johnny is old enough to make good choices when all of us here would have to admit that we make some pretty poor decisions from time to time...is Johnny going to always be lucky enough to survive those mistakes?
The sad thing about ATV accidents, or any accident for that matter, it only takes a momentary misjudgment or slow reaction that can happen to ANYONE and it is too late to go back! The damage is done and the consequences last for ever!
For me as a parent, there is a big difference between making a choice to risk my own welfare, and being responsible for my children's lives!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

One more note:

shank, I would strongly suggest to your father to reconsider the SP300! The fact that it is air cooled really isn't a negative factor and it is a GREAT size for a young rider that is still big enough that you won't out grow it! We have both 300 and 400HO bikes and find the SP 400 HO though it is smaller then the SP 500 and weighs over 100 lbs less has only slightly less HP which actually makes it faster then the 500HO and can be a bit of a hand full to hold on to!

I would definitely recommend the SP 300 for you and your family...you will find the pure simplicity of the air cooled engine, CVT auto, full time 4x4, IRS, and great handling makes for a fun machine! Wifey loves hers and wouldn't trade for anything!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mikka

Sure a 12 year old can ride a 500 sportsman... The real question is can a 12 year old control a 500 sportsman? The answer would be no for sure if you would ask a farming neighbour not to far from here. A couple of years back he lost a 12 year old kid when he became pinned under an atv.

Long story short, the kid had countless hours on the atv carrying out chores on the farm until the day he tried to turn it around beside an irrigation dicht, lost control and got his head and neck pinned under the rear rack. That's how his father found him choked to death.

A 12 year old does not have the strenght or body mass/weight required to be fully in control of an atv made for adults.</end quote></div>

yea but if that atv is on top of you a certain way you are not lifting it off unless you are on a hill and can somehow roll it off 800lb atv when you have no room to move is to heavy doesn't matter how old you are and like i said you have to ride with other pople so that doens't happpen. at 14 i can lift the same as as some not so strong adults and can easily do 15 pull ups i can throw a atv around no prob and could for years i always stand most of the time and that raises teh ability to throw things around more than double when you can realy lean and kick teh atv around with your legs. going up teh road durring the winter when i am standing up i can make the rear axle slide right and left back and forth 4 feet while going strait not that slick of a road eather so a kid standing up is equivelent to and adult sitting down. I coulnd't do that at all unless i turn the sheels back and forth but thats not in control thats using the atv to throw its self around like a rc car that all you do is hit buttons.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

One more note:

shank, I would strongly suggest to your father to reconsider the SP300! The fact that it is air cooled really isn't a negative factor and it is a GREAT size for a young rider that is still big enough that you won't out grow it! We have both 300 and 400HO bikes and find the SP 400 HO though it is smaller then the SP 500 and weighs over 100 lbs less has only slightly less HP which actually makes it faster then the 500HO and can be a bit of a hand full to hold on to!

I would definitely recommend the SP 300 for you and your family...you will find the pure simplicity of the air cooled engine, CVT auto, full time 4x4, IRS, and great handling makes for a fun machine! Wifey loves hers and wouldn't trade for anything!</end quote></div>

but does the 300 have low? just woundering. if i would get something i would get something with lowrange for heavy mud bogging, hill climbing, and towing. or i would get a scrambler.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

nope!

Quick Reply: Is a sportsman 500 to big for a 12 year old?