Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are single-lever brakes dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are single-lever brakes dangerous?

the single brake lever is fine 99 % of the time. the only time with the popo i wish i had a handlebar mounted rear brake is when you have to stop on a steep hill going up. if you have to bail and get off it is hard to hold it on the hillside. if there was the other brake like on my honda you can hold it there much easier...... my 2 cents worth

Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Never had a problem with the single lever until I bought my KFX.

And even then, I would say it's more comical than dangerous.

I'll load up the kfx, then load up the boss and blazer. Well, the brake (front) for the kfx is on the right handle. Hop on one of the other two, and first thing I reach for when I want to stop is the right brake lever. And it's gone![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Granted, I'm just putting around loading them, but I'll bet the first time I did that I had a priceless look on my face. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

And the ds250 we have has a front brake on the right handle, both brakes on the left, and a foot pedal for the rear.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

personally i like the single break system... i have never came down a hill and grabbed a bunch ho break and felt as if the machine was going to go @ss over tea cup... i have gone down some steep stuff and just used the rear foot break and had the rear end trying to come around the front...
on a motorcycle you get most of your stopping power from the front... don't be we todd did... you won't crash

i read that topic and you can not... and i repeat can not win a fight with someone like him.. he just brings you down to his level... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It's my understanding that CanAm also has a single brake lever on most of their quads also. I've rode both with and without a dual brake lever. I honestly find the single lever more convenient. When on the throttle, it takes longer to reach around to grab a brake lever on the right hand. Not so much if you had a twist throttle. The Polaris system is biased 60% front and 40% rear if I remember. As has been said, the brake pedal is there if you want more rear braking.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd say that 80% of the time on the kfx, I use the front brake only. Unless it's for a sudden stop, or to slide the rear end around I just grab the front.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

As stated before there are plusses to both systems. If I feel like being lazy and just want to go for a ride it doesent get any easy'r than the Popo system it work wonders, But when I have the need for speed to be able to slide the rear end on my Raptor is an excitment all in it's self.

To say one is better than the other is ludicrious but to say the Popo system is dangerous is ignorant!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

To say polaris single brakes are dangerous is the same thing as saying ATV's are dangerous. Never heard of one fatality due to the polaris or bombardier single brakes. It's never the operator right?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

I like the single lever braking system because there is only one lever to pull (not that much thinking involved) wher as my friends grizzley has to levers and i hop on that i couldnt tell ya what way was up or down. A lot more thinking involved

Maybe polaris made the one brake thing for us slow people. lol.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the single lever Brake is great.......When I was shopping I wanted to stay away from rear drum .....Which I think is way more dangerous to worry about then Single lever hydraulic brakes.

Yes I do have stock and work for the company...........

J/K...........Caper............

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

congrads on the new ride J>F>

Quick Reply: Are single-lever brakes dangerous?