Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are single-lever brakes dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are single-lever brakes dangerous?

In another section of the forum someone is trying to scare an ATV buyer away from getting a Polaris because <u>the single-lever brakes are extremely dangerous and can kill you. Qoute: "I really don't know how any manufacturer could offer such a dangerous set-up."</u> He claims that his scaring people away from Polaris is helping them make an informed choice.

When I explained that I thought single lever brakes are potentially more dangerous because you can accidentally hit the wrong one, but you can't hit the wrong lever when there's only one, I got this response: "I understand that you either work for Polaris, or own a lot of stock in the company, but..."

Yeah, whatever, you ignorant troll, was what I thought, but didn't say. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] For the record, I only worked for Uncle Sam and General Motors, and never owned stock in anything.

So what I want to know is:

1. Are single-lever brakes dangerous?

2. If they're so dangerous, why are we Polaris riders still alive?

3. Are separate brakes dangerous?

4. Is one type more dangerous than the other?

Any examples of flipping endo down a hill, etc. with either type will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone,
Frank

Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything can be dangerous if you do not know how to use it.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

If single lever brakes were dangerous then auto makers would have seperate pedals for front and rear brakes in cars and trucks. Even semi trucks have single pedal brakes.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

look at it this way, Try to come up with ANY other 4 wheel vehicle with seperate front and rear brakes? I understand the need for this on a 2 wheel motorcycle and maybe that is the reason Honda Yamaha and Suzuki use the 2 brakes system they think a ATV is a Motorcycle.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats why Polaris on all full sized atv's have an emergency/assist pedal in case hand brake fails! At least you can stop it. Safe system as any out there.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Kawasaki has separate levers for front and rear.

But I haven't found the Polaris single/linked braking system to be a problem. If I wanted to use just the rear brake, I have a foot pedal for that. When you grab the lever, you know you're getting all wheel braking, there's nothing dangerous about that.

That other guy is a moron.

I don't work for Polaris and I don't own stock in anything.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know Sheepdog. You're starting to sound a lot like a company man to me. LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for people whp try to ride like a pro and want to slide the rear end around they find the single brake a problem. my self a good rider can use any type of brake and be safe. i think(imo) that polaris had the basic person in mind w/ only one lever to pull they wouldnt et confused on which one to pull (if they had 2) and a pedal to push so they designed a single to take care of it all. imo.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider

if you liked everything else about polaris and that was the only thing detouring you from buying one... simple follow the brake line from the single operation lever back to where it splits to control both front and rear and simply remove the rear brake line and plug it off at the block. presto front brake lever and rear brake pedal

Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Pro Rider

I'm an old-schooler and I'm totally new to Polaris.
So new I still jump on, pull in the left handle, crank, give it some gas and start letting off...
...Then I remember it's not a clutch and wait for it to idle down so I can put it in F/R.

But I do not see this as a problem or danger.

I think the placement of the foot pedal on mine SUCKS.
Too far back... so I'm using the 4-wheel brakes a lot.

The bottom line is that for stopping, it's just like front brakes, but with a little bonus stopping power from the rear. If I want to use rear only, I have a foot pedal for that... so what's the difference?

Myself, I'd like to have a split brake kit... all 4 as-is on th left, just front on the right, and rear on the pedal (relocated forward).

Quick Reply: Are single-lever brakes dangerous?