Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new problem with sportsman 500 pulling to left

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new problem with sportsman 500 pulling to left

took it in to have it diagnosed yesterday and picked it up today after the 93.00 diagnosing charge. first guy said it was a bent rim only and valve stem........that dumb_ _ _ should be fired. so the same guy looked at it again after my explanation of the problem again. this time the whole front right needed to be replaced......this dumb_ _ _ should be fired. 85.00 repair initially then 1281.00 repair. so i go pick it up today and they have a different tech look at it and pretty much what i thought initially......he said that the most likely problem is between the hub and the awd shaft........the components in there which i assume are bearings, cv joint type "stuff", etc.

so i would like to repair this on my own and would order parts online. i found a website called cheapcycleparts.com that seem to have the lowest prices i have researched,......unless anyone knows anything else.

my plan is to take apart the left side and install into right side to see if that fixes the problem before i go spending money on something that i am not 100% sure is the problem. can anyone help me with the explanation of what is between the awd shaft and the hub....so that i know what to order/look for???

appreciate the help

Old 06-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

ok....i just took a closer look at the diagrams on cheapcycleparts.com to see what all is entailed in replacing things. from what i can tell i should be able to take off the front right disc with the hub attached and same on the left.....then put the left side (good side) onto the right side and see if the wobble stops.....if so then problem is in the hub....if not then problem is in cv joint???

Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is it doing besides pulling to the right? is it making any sounds? did you make sure that the awd isnt stuck on on that side by testing? most likely its a bad bearing, bad cv joint or that side is lcoked into awd w/out the other side. did you jack up the front to turn it by hand and see if its grinding,binding or what ever. just a couple of idears.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

i posted a prior thread titled "sportsman 500 pullilng to left" that detailed all the original problems and what was advised to do. basically what is happening is when the awd shaft turns it caused the hub to wobble and as the hub wobbles the brake caliper clicks as the rotor passes through a certain spot .......but the wobble does not happen unless the awd shaft turns.......

Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

everything around that axle depends on the proper torque spec. to work at all letalone properly........

Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

i have a service manual that has all the specs...but i will go purchase a torgue wrench to ensure proper torques

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

the main thing is 0 play,youv'e seen how small the tabs are .....................