Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 polaris wristpin bearing replacement on the crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 polaris wristpin bearing replacement on the crankshaft

Hey guys. I was given a 1995 400 2x4 the engine had been torn down for a while due to a busted crankcase which i am getting next week. The question is the wristpin bearing on the crankshaft is seized up from moisture i hope. The parts diagram online shows it to be separatable but the manual i bought says not to do that. Can i separate it and replace the bearing and the shims? Also the counterbalancer gear was off how does the couterbalancer sit back into the gear so when i align the marks on the crank and the balancer gear it will all be right and in time ? Sorry for so long I appreciate all the help i can get

Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to rebuild cranks about ten years ago but it got to he point that it was more cost effective(for the customer) to buy a new crank. It CAN be done. I never had any problems, but its also not the easiest thing in the world to do. As far as the counterbalance assy that gear is suppose to be pressed on to the counterbalance. If its off, I'd say get a new one or a good one somewhere. I would'nt mess with that IMHO.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If local dealer doesnt rebuild cranks,check area machine shops (most will do it) Just supply Parts. I still rebuild cranks,cheaper than whole assy. Install counter balancer first with bracket and locktite both bracket bolts, align crank sprocket where both dots align which will be down fron center of case. If first attempt off,pull up and try again. Puller needed for counter balancer and case area around c/b must be heated to remove and replace. If c/b bearing bad, Just replace assy. (not cheap) NOT a good project if you dont have the puller and NOT a good choice for the do it your selfer. Not trying to be negative ,but have posted that 350 and 400 engines complex and costly to completly rebuild. GOOD LUCK