08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

Okay, I tried my 12v air pump in the acc. socket today, and it would not power up unless I had the key turned to the ON position. The pump worked with the engine running and not running.

When the key was OFF and I plugged it in, nothing happened. When the key was on and engine running, when I turned the key off the engine turned off and the pump stopped.

Mines an '07.</end quote></div>

i had to use my pump and my trail washer today and both times key had to be on. of course i had the bike runing as not to drain the battery.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has to be on as well. Difference is those devices do not have their own battery.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

What the make and model of the Spotlight, if you don't mind me asking? Could we have embarked
on a backup power device if battery fails on the trail?

Maybe some good from this?

R'

Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

What the make and model of the Spotlight, if you don't mind me asking? Could we have embarked

on a backup power device if battery fails on the trail?

Maybe some good from this?

R'</end quote></div>

It is a Brinkman Q Beam. It doesn't have enough juice to actually start the engine. Most likely if the battery is too weak to start the ATV the Q Beam's battery isn't going to save the day, although it MAY boost a weak battery slightly. Has anyone tried to fit a spare battery in the rear compartment. I though that would be a good idea if you were worried about a dead battery. Keep one on a battery tender and throw it in the rear storage compartment before the ride.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey sheep try plugging it in with quad running. Leave air pump on and shut the key off. I believe the bike will keep running while the pump is plugged in and on. I think they did it so you wouldnt drain your batt. on the quad by leaving something plugged in and running. No pull start to get your quad running leaving you stranded a million miles away from hot women and beer!!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know about the 07' but thats not the case on the 08's as i know when i turned the key off today the bike shuts down and the power out let looses power.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Are my posts above showing up? Seems like some are missing the point. The ATV will only continue to run if whatever is plugged in has it's own battery and the battery is strong enough to power the ignition system. So unless the air pump is rechargeable it will not cause the ATV to continue to run. The key must be on to have power at the outlet.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE
I figured it out. I was using a rechargeable spotlight and the battery in it powers the ignition with the key off. See the posts above for further.
Thanks</end quote></div>
Glad you got it figured out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!"></title><script src=

I used the power outlet on my 500 to recharge a camcorder battery as I rode last week. No problem even when I left it plugged in after it was fully charged. I know it's a whole different machine, but I really think it's a design flaw in the light and not in the 800. NOTHING should <u>ever</u> feed back through the outlet IMO. It's not a power INLET.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Are my posts above showing up? Seems like some are missing the point. The ATV will only continue to run if whatever is plugged in has it's own battery and the battery is strong enough to power the ignition system. So unless the air pump is rechargeable it will not cause the ATV to continue to run. The key must be on to have power at the outlet.</end quote></div>

Sorry HO but thats not the way it is on my buddies 700 as I stated above whith quad running, and air pump (w/out a battery) plugged in and running you can turn the machine off and take the key out and the bike will continue to run. I never said anything about the power backfeeding into the instrument panel and powering the guages.

Quick Reply: 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!