Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Excessive exhaust heat cure - FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive exhaust heat cure - FINALLY!

For the purpose of protecting a body & parts from heat -- Excellent.-- I was just stating that these products will not reduce engine heat and if anything will cause engine temps to increase. Also most 2 strokes will benefit from the wraps by increasing the pipes temps and by doing so will make pipe more efficient and add hp.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

My sole purpose for adding the wrap was to keep the heat down on the right side, it would get hot enough to be unconfortable to my leg. I only did wrapped short section and it is far enough away from the head that it will not effect engine temps very much if any.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

My point was the fact that I would be worried with the blanket retaining heat or causing the motor to run much hotter then necessary and that neither of the products would help keep the engine or engine area cooler. Redirect heat - yes, but at what cost? I just was warning all to watch for engine running hot as ZAKAZIM & Hawkman300 were wondering about this justifiably. I myself have melted my right hand side panel down low where the shifter comes out of the engine area--my cure was to go to local NAPA and buy more of the reflective tape similar to what Polaris uses on the panels.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Wrapping or whatever will not make the motor run hotter, if anything it will run cooler because the air around it will not be blistering hot. People have been wrapping headers for years to keep heat away from the engine bay, its not risky by any means.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

Wrapping or whatever will not make the motor run hotter, if anything it will run cooler because the air around it will not be blistering hot. People have been wrapping headers for years to keep heat away from the engine bay, its not risky by any means.</end quote></div>

Agreed. Here is my Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra, notice all the pipes are wrapped. I closely monitored coolant temps, they really did not change,cooler if anything. But the engine bay was noticably cooler probably allowing the radiator to be more effective. Apples to Oranges I know but if I am comfortable wrapping the pipes on a 30K engine and turbo kit a little wrap on my ATV doesn't scare me.

Name:  haeaderwrapps.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  100_3651.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  118.2 KB

Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

That car is ****!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

I had wrapped my exaust on my 800 with fiberglass wrap and worked great for heat. even ran the atv after washing to dry it out. broke the exaust after 14 months. ordered new replacmeent and had it ceramic caoteed and lined so inside and out on the replacment. now with the facotry shield you can hold your hgand next to the plasticd anywhere and it is warm but not hot. also able to wear shorts again riding if I want. I can attach pictures of the entire process I went through and furnish names of the company if it would but I dont know how to attach pictures on the forum, If you want pictures tell me how to attach them and go real slow as im not the best on the computer. I have attached the same pictures on another forum so I have to it already
Also ther polaris replacment pipe is 2 piece not a 1 piece unit

Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Jet Hot or equivelent coating is the way to go. The above turbo kit is ceramic coated and wrapped. I would get mine done if I ever have the ATV down for long enough. I was suprised by how thin the walls are on the header pipe, so It wouldn't suprise me that it rusted through under the wrap even if dry as the wrap keeps the pipe hot for alot longer after shut down and seems to pull moisture out of the air. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LURCH84065

I had wrapped my exaust on my 800 with fiberglass wrap and worked great for heat. even ran the atv after washing to dry it out. broke the exaust after 14 months. ordered new replacmeent and had it ceramic caoteed and lined so inside and out on the replacment. now with the facotry shield you can hold your hgand next to the plasticd anywhere and it is warm but not hot. also able to wear shorts again riding if I want. I can attach pictures of the entire process I went through and furnish names of the company if it would but I dont know how to attach pictures on the forum, If you want pictures tell me how to attach them and go real slow as im not the best on the computer. I have attached the same pictures on another forum so I have to it already

Also ther polaris replacment pipe is 2 piece not a 1 piece unit</end quote></div>