Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Sportsman - Which plow, winch setup....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 03:25 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default New Sportsman - Which plow, winch setup....

One of my first needed upgrades will be a plow winch setup....

Could the group help by reccomending the best setup????

From what I know, I would like to have the winch operated (up and down) type, and I know there are a ton of Gorilla winch's on Ebay, plus the Glacier plow system.

This seems to be a pretty good setup, no???

JJ

Old 07-24-2008 | 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

The glacier plow system is great. If all you are going to do with the winch is operate the plow then it probly doesn't matter who you go with, but I am partial to warn since they are more reliable. But, here we are, we're going to get into another winch debate! LOL! Try searching winches in this forum and there are many recent threads on them and decide for yourself.

Old 07-24-2008 | 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

to the forum... i use a winch for my plowing, i have the polaris glacier system (not the new "lock & ride"). i wouldent use the manual plow. you will get a bunch of people giving you different oppinions it all depends on what you want.. i have heard good things about polaris plows, moose, cycle country to name a few... i would buy the 60" to be honest though..

now onto the winch, are you going to be using it all the time (getting stuck) and things of the nature or will it basically be used for plow lifting.. if your going to be going on alot of adventures with your machine i would recomend spending the extra money on a winch.. there is nothing worse that going to use something that is not good quality... here again you will hear buy warn or dont buy anything they there are those who have had good luck with the e-bay winches... do some research and it will pay off

Old 07-24-2008 | 10:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if your going to use it for mudding as well get a 2,500 to 3000 lb winch. warn is the best but maybe a gorilla would be alright as well.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:38 PM
Range Rover

I've used my Warn 2500 for two years for plowing, winching out of mud holes. Pretty much everything you can do with a winch I have done. The Warn has held up really good, no problems so far.

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have a gorilla and have had it on and off 4 different times with problems. GO WARN and if mine screws up again I'm going warn for sure

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have always used Warn in the past, but I got the Polaris brand 3500lb winch with synthetic rope on my newest ride. I've only had it for a little over a month so its too early to tell how it will hold up.

Old 08-29-2008 | 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just picked my 800 up a few weeks ago. I already swapped out for the synthetic rope. I was told the wire would break using it for plowing since it just rolling over the same 3" each time. I went with the Polaris 2500 winch I have used it for everything. I went with the Cycle Country plow setup. The Glacier was very interesting until I read a lot about people bending the mount when hitting older snow banks. In some cases dangerously close to the radiator.

Old 08-29-2008 | 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Jjump I have the Polaris brand 2500 on mine and have used it for pulling the Hondas out of the mud a good bit. I havent had any problems with it so far. It is my first winch and I feel really good knowing I have it there if I ever need it.

I have also come up with a few other uses for it too. When the quads really muddy I'll throw the cable over a tree branch and winch the front end up to clean underneath real good. I also used it to pull a deer up out of a gully last year. It was very steep and I would have had a hell of a time dragging it out even with my dads help. I was thinking if your were by yourself you could throw the cable over a branch, lift the deer up and drive the quad right underneath it onto the rack.

JJump welcome to the forum!! You'll get a lot of differing opinions here and tons of good advice so stick around and post some pics of your ride, and rides. I see in your signature your from Pittsburgh, is that PA. I live about 45 miles south about 7 miles from Rt. 51 in Perryopolis. Where do you ride? Ever heard of Creek Falls, or some people from the city, call it Blue Hole? That's where we do a lot of our riding. If so maybe we could go sometime.

Old 08-30-2008 | 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rowe I have also come up with a few other uses for it too. When the quads really muddy I'll throw the cable over a tree branch and winch the front end up to clean underneath real good. I also used it to pull a deer up out of a gully last year. It was very steep and I would have had a hell of a time dragging it out even with my dads help. </end quote></div>

I used one for that a couple of years ago. My friend was bow hunting on my farm and shot a really nice buck. Unfortunately when it went crashing through the brush it ran right into a really deep ravine. To make matters worse it was extremely wet and you couldn't walk up the bottom from a more accessible spot because you sank past your knees in mud. While you could have slid down the ravine you would have been hard pressed to have climbed back up the muddy sides and dragging a deer up with you would have been impossible. He had a Warn winch and I grabbed the winch cable, some recovery rope and a drag bag and slid/tumbled down to the bottom and secured the deer with the rope. When I got the deer in the bag and everything secured I just hung onto the deer and had him pull me right up along with the deer.

Quick Reply: New Sportsman - Which plow, winch setup....