Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Now its the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now its the tranny

It is most likely the plastic shim that is between the ebs one way clutch and the outer sheave. When it breaks or comes apart the one way has play and lets the belt ride against the sheeve and it won't sit still. If you can cut it off and it shift like it is suppose to then this is 90% bet the plastic shim on the primary I decribed is bad or worn out. Replace the belt while you are in there and make sure the clutch sheeves are in good shape. Also make sure you don't have motor mounts bad and the the engine hasn't shifted. If the belt alignment is off it can do the same thing. Take the clutch cover off and look at the belt. It should not be touching the sheeves of the drive clutch at all. Since you say it comes and goes I still think it is that shim. Hope this helps and I hope I haven't rambled on too much.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atv gooroo

Hey Frank I see you replaced number 4. I am glad to hear from you, it has been a while. Yes, it is the right belt. I just put on the new belt that my brother got for me and all is fine. The belt he got for me is one of those Dayco belts and I have never used one. Stendori doesn't care much for these belts and his opinion means alot to me and I don't want to not use the belt so I am willing to give it a try. I hope this belt doesn't tear up my clutches or anything. What do you thimk Frank? I hope you are useing some of those antitheft ideas that we gave you.</end quote></div>

I used to use Dayco belts among others on my sled 20 years ago, but only use Polaris belts on the ATV. Unless they're WAY cheaper I don't see any reason not to use stock belts. On a sled they wore out fast and I bought cheap ones. On the ATV the stock ones last a long time and I haven't had to change one in a few years.

So far I'm not using any of the anti-theft ideas but I'll be storing my ATV elsewhere. That's easier than taking care of a rabid pitbull. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

ncriderforks, if you think that the shim is no good then how come when I but on the other belts all is fine? I don't think that this is my problem for the two belts that I have(new Dayco;old polaris) seem to work just fine. I only have a problem with one particular belt and was just wanting to solve the mystery about that belt. I went out and looked for maybe something worn last night after your post and the belt(new Dayco) does't touch the sheaves of the clutch until I give her throttle, so I think all is fine with the clutches and mounts. I am now waiting on a new clutch cover gasket since I kept rideing the bike with the cover off to keep an eye on things before I put it back together and the gasket fell out and hit the clutches and broke it in a couple of spots. It is probably okay to use but I don't want any water damage.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you can move the one way clutch from side to side then the shim is worn. I didn't realize you fixed it with a belt. Sometimes a new belt will fix this for a short time. I would check it and make sure while you have it apart.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

What do I shake? Do I just grab hold of the primary clutch and see if it moves?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

No. The one way clutch is the that grooved part of your clutch that the belt rides on at idle. It is between the sheeves at the center or bottom of the clutch It will only spin one way. This is what makes the machine have ebs

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I called Rick Ritter and asked him and he told me what you were talking about but he just seems to think that the belt was the problem. I plan to look it over one more time before I put it back together.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I hope it was just a belt. Cool deal

Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I hope it was just the belt too. I will post back with how everthing works out.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the one way clutch to see if it was okay and I can slide it back and forth on the shaft , is this okay? I can not wiggle it on the shaft I can only slide it from sheave to sheave.(just a little)

Quick Reply: Now its the tranny