Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Now its the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now its the tranny

I recently posted a post on the silent chain due to the fact of a loud click when I give the machine gas and all rode it off to be the famous polaris tranny noise and that I sould not worry about it until I here grindage. Well today while doing some rideing at Busco Beach I was haveing a hard time switching from gear to gear. The machine would bind up and I would have to go a little further and try again to get it to free up. I couldn't pull the lever at all if I was on a hill or in a hole. A couple of times I would hear a loud chirping sound not really a grinding sound but a chirping, squeking sound and the machine would almost choke of and during these points it was almost as if I was in between gears but if I gave it some gas and rolled a little it would clear up. (I have had it between gears once or twice and have heard it grind and this is not like that.) Tell me your thoughts has to what it is and what parts to buy because money is tight and I feel like I could get parts for less than polaris and just send them along with the bike and tell the shop to install them and also that if I diagnose the problem that might help with the money too. I could probably do the work myself and actually I know I can but when it comes to dealing with the tranny I would rather let somone else fix it due to the fact that if it ain't right then its not on me but on them.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

atv guroo I'm actually new to the Polaris, just bought a 800 deluxe I understand that fluid changes in the gear box as well as all fluids is essential, there is a good chance that it just may be the clutches not full engaged causing the static that you are talking about. I personally doubt that its your transmission but may be clutch wear which is what I would rather replace, also if your bike has the diagnostic mode run it and see if it has anything to add. Alway elliminate the easiest and the cheapest first. I have many year working on atv and motorcycles I hope you the best I know how the tight money cituation is. Keep cool!!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem COULD be a number of things.From a bad clutch,bad front dif. or most likely the insides of the tranny.Best bet is to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer and spend the $$$$ to get it fixed right.
First thing a dealer will tell you is the problem was caused by the lift kit.No matter what the problem turns out to be

Old 07-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like there is some issues for sure w/ the tranny but if you dont know it would be wise to take it to someone who does instead of guessing. just an idear.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well Steve23 was right I think? I figured that I would go out and try to do a process of elimination and I started with the belt. I wanted to tell you guys this story but it is so long and I am just going to give you the short version. I and my wife went out to dinner last week and when we got back I caught my 18 year old brother and his girlfreind putting the sportsman back in the shed.(busted) I asked what he was doing and he started apologizing. He then told me that after he went up a steep hill the machine started smokeing and it smelt like burnt rubber. I asked did he go up the hill in low and he said no. (brother 320; girlfreind 280) I then asked if he went up the hill from a dead stop and he said yes. I had an old belt that I had hanging in the shed for about a year and I thought that the belt was good because when I changed it I was just wanting too. Well today I took off the cover and ran it up a steep incline and it started squealing and I couln't get it to go into another gear and the engine was only running at about 930 rpm. (This is what I have been experiencing). I had yet another belt (just another atempt in preventive maintance and probably didn't need to change but) so I installed it and climbed the steep hill a bunch of times and could not get it to happen so I went and but the other belt back on and as soon as I climbed the hill it messed up again so I can only say that the belt is the problem. Why would the belt have anything to do with the gear lock and the engine bogging down? I don't really understand how the thing actually works.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it really should have anything to do w/ it unless the belt was staying engaged to the point it had presure on the transmission and wouldnt let it come out of a gear. just a guess.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

That is pretty much what it was doing stendori, because if I got off the bike when it was in the bind it would move up the hill on its own and free up. That is some pretty good tention to move the bike up hill. Why? How? How come it doesn't do it with the other belt? It just seems funny to me.

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a dumb question, but was it the right belt? Part # 3211095, EBS Drive Belt.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Frank I see you replaced number 4. I am glad to hear from you, it has been a while. Yes, it is the right belt. I just put on the new belt that my brother got for me and all is fine. The belt he got for me is one of those Dayco belts and I have never used one. Stendori doesn't care much for these belts and his opinion means alot to me and I don't want to not use the belt so I am willing to give it a try. I hope this belt doesn't tear up my clutches or anything. What do you thimk Frank? I hope you are useing some of those antitheft ideas that we gave you.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Just running it through one more time. Thanks

Quick Reply: Now its the tranny