Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cracked up clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked up clutch

I know that some of you are aware of what has been going on with my clutch and if not you can read the post "Now its the tranny" (part 1 and 2) I have been experiencing my belt getting into a bind on hills and such and everyones request was to get new washers for the ebs. I ordered these washers and found a trick to get the primary off. I took the primary off last night to find that I have a few small cracks around the one way clutch on the outside sheave. I did however measure the distance of space between the ebs and sheave and it is .040 and I beleive that it is suposed to be .020. My take on the crackes is due to the fact that my brother smoked a belt 2 weeks ago and it got too hot and that some of the belt particles got up in the clutch and just got hot and craked it. I have not had any problems with my clutch until he did this. Do I need a whole new clutch or due you think the cracks and new washers and a good cleaning will be okay? I am getting alot of lip out of my parents saying that they should not pay for it for he is my brother. He took my bike for a ride with out asking and brought it back with this damage. I am 28 years old and my brother 18 years old. I live on my own with wife and kid and he at home with mom and dad who let him run off with my bike knowing how I feel about it. What is yalls take? Do he fix or am I being stupid and I should fix it.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

well it's gota be fixed and chances are he will not..so just fix it and and buy a BIG CHAIN AND PADLOCK!!.. i am forever fixing somebody elses screw up on my toys and get the sad story"sorry bud but iam am broke,can i just pay you later" now thats my brother in-law.. every time he comes over I pay for it some how!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

If in fact the metal is cracked (not scratched or some defect that looks like a crack)
replace the sheave. Do not ride it until you have replaced the sheave. Those clutch sheaves are spinning at what ever RPM's the engine is at and under extreme amount of load. If it were to come apart it could tear the machine up and your leg. It is very dangerous.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered a new clutch this morning.($423.96) I had to order the whole assembly. I have to put my old weithts and spring on from the other clutch because the new one doesn't come with them.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bummer. I can understand how ripped you must be.

My take is that since he is 18 your brother SHOULD replace it for sure. He's a little old for your parents to be taking the rap, so talk to him, perhaps. Also, it would be nice if they would do it out of understanding, but I personally think it is not worth the disruption of the family.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but you can get used sheaves from ATV junk yards. Are both sheaves cracked is that why you had to buy the entire clutch?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Ebay for used ones.New is way over priced.Any EBS clutch will work you may need to use your weights .

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

this is one of those family situations that all responsible siblings tend to fall into at one time or an other, and from past experience in this kind of thing, (we raised my wifies nephew when her brother wasn't man enough to do it himself!), I can tell you that it is probably a waste of good time to try to get any monetary help from your brother if he didn't even offer to help work on the quad in the first place!
Sad thing about this is "Responsibility is never learned unless it is demanded!" Hope this works out for you!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:01 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez gooroo, you just can't win, can you? I know how it feels to have a brother who isn't responsible <u>at any age</u>. If they aren't stealing your quad they're shooting at you with a .44 Magnum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Always remember, <u>it could be worse</u>. If your brother was any kind of a man he would admit he was wrong, <u>and</u> either pay someone to fix it for you, or pay for the parts and help you fix it. If he's like either of my brothers he doesn't think he did anything wrong and your parents will probably go to their graves blaming you for leaving your quad where he could get it. Some of us have familys that make the Simpsons and Bundys look well adjusted, and just have to live with it. Sorry bro, but why do think I'm on the forum instead of hanging out with my family?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Well Frank I have to say that reading your post makes me feel alot better. I am one of those that just fell far from the tree. I don't do or think anything like my family. My family thinks that the wife and I are the stupidist people alive to just be so crazy over a quad. Mom and Dad told me that my brother could not sleep due to the fact that he messed up my bike and I told them that I couldn't either and they don't understand that. It may sound a little crazy I quess, but I feel like a part of me is missing when my bike ain't runnin. My parents only have a passion for one thing and thats money, nothing else just money. I am the oposite, I can't wait to spend it. So with that being said I would have been quick to offer to pay for any damage that I made to their property, and they are quick to come up with a hundred reasons on why not to pay for mine. Money is just paper and you can't take it with you. You either got it or you don't. I am a firm believer in carma and can say that they will probably pay for their actions. When you keep taken and taken you will get taken. I say be nice and lend a hand at any opertunity. Thanks for all the help that you guys offer.

Quick Reply: Cracked up clutch