Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is this common for an new 800

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this common for an new 800

I was curious if I was the only one getting 2nd degree burns on my leg from riding my 800. When i wear shorts and ride mostly at speeds under 20mph, the right side of my leg above my ankle get a hot as a fried onion. I just came home from riding and I have another nice little burn. If we are riding around the mountain I have to prop my leg on the front rack to cool it down.

Does this happen to others and what can you do to fix it? (other than wearing pants)

Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I'm coming from a 500 that I thought ran hot but after a few rides I see what you mean about the 800. I haven't tried riding with shorts yet....

Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

thats why you dont where shorts

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Range Rover

Yes they all run hot like that. Eventually it will melt the plastic. I have found an heat shield kit from Breese lawn and garden on ebay. Some people say it works some don't. Im also gonna get some exhaust wrap from summit to wrap the head pipe. If that don't work i'm gonna send the head pipe out to be jet hot coated.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

I find it most common while running in low.

Here is a question: Is it better to run it in high gear at low speeds and run through more belts or run in low gear, heat up the engine and save the belt? (I think that the engine heat is worse in the long run).

Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Thats most likely because in low your not moving fast enough to dissipate the heat.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2008 also has the stupid exhaust exposed on the right side, and it gets hot. And Georgia is HOT in the summer. My pipe has some black marks on it that are from melting the sole of my boot when I slid past it. Given how exposed it is, I am not sure it is htter than would be expected. I have several exhaust burns on my arms from exhaust and mufflers on ATVs. Given how minimal the shield is, I don't think it is so bad. BUT I also think it is unacceptable and dangerous. Not that I ever wear shorts riding. Generally I wear canvas work pants as a habit, as every bit of protection is valuable. Having rolled and flipped, and run through briars from HELL, I ride with boots and a layer of clothing. And a helmet. And eye protection. And gloves. Maybe I am just tired of bleeding.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is my 2nd 800 and thet both do it. i was on mine yesterday pulling rocks and wearing short(around the house)and forgot about how hot it gtes w/out pants. the newer 08's run a little cooler then the 06' but still cant wear shorts for sure. just make sure the radaitor is real clean as this makes it run even hotter then normal when its partily plugged.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Another thing as I have learned the hard way even with my 450's, worse with the 800. Don't touch
that exhaust quite yet after riding it for awhile. I was in a hurry to strap it up and get on the rode
and a little touch with my arm...OUCH, thank GOD no burns.

R'

Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, it is common.
Here is a thread I started on the same issue. In the thread I included pics of how I fixed it with header wrap. Now I don't have a problem.
http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid=11&threadid=545483
Someone above mentioned the heatshield kits, that kit is the stock stock 08 stuff, it protects the plastic better than the old shields but I think it leaves more exposed to the open area by your leg, therfore it does nothing to reduce the heat the rider feels. The header wrap is like night and day, I can creep along all day and not even notice any heat. Just make sure if you wash the machine you start it up and let the wrap dry out before you put it up or it will rust out the header pipe.

Quick Reply: Is this common for an new 800