Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

k&n filter question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n filter question

I run K&N on everything I own (including the "H"--- cold air) If I could put it on the lawn mower I would. LOL

But yes use a outerwears cover on any atv or you will regret it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never bought into the outwearz..

if you are running a filter clamped right on to the carb, or no airbox lid, i say its a good idea, because
you are only adding slight restriction, and have more than compensated anyway.

I mean, you didnt buy your air filter to keep it clean did you? it almost seems silly to me

that would be like putting somthing around your oil filter to keep it clean.....

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I think it falls in line with having to reoil your K&N or UNI its just something that needs to be done. IMO

Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deerwagon

Just the filter itself - the K&N doesn't have a pre-filter. Hold onto the OEM in case you need service work done on your quad (possible warranty issue). Put the OEM back on before you take it to the dealership. So I've heard.</end quote></div>

I also hold onto all my OEM filters and change them out. Dealers hate K&N and will use them to deny all warranty claims. been there, done that
I use pre filters and keep an extra on hand. They're cheap and easy to clean. After a dusty day of riding, swap out the pre filter and it will save an expensive K&N in the long run.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]Thanks for all replies guys, I serviced it and put the oem prefilter back on the k&n filter. As far as dealers and warranty, my extended warranty just expired in april '08. Now in august I have my first starting issue with it since I bought it. Taking it in tuesday morning. Now I'm waiting for them to tell me the air filter is dirty and need replacing!lol That happened to me once at one of the "jiffy lube" type places, I put a new air filter in my truck at home, drove 6 blocks to get my oil changed and they said they recommend a new filter!! I had the empty box in the back seat and showed it to them. They did'nt know what to say after that. Sorry to ramble on thanks

Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just trying to save you alot of engine issues later on by saying you want to run the prefilter for sure. like was mentioned if running in dusty areas, use the stock paper one if you can as it does a much better job. imo.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]Just some gravel logging roads, nothing real severe where I ride. I don't get too wild anymore, At middleage I don't heal up quite so fast as I used too. Thanks for all replies.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a uni that i oil up...it goes in my air box i clamp a lid on it and the fit the hole with another air box that has a neck on it that has a sponge sleave it that i oil also....that pre filter on the end of the neck is almost destroyed is there a aftermarket one i can get somewhere?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an ADA Racing air filter on my scooter. It has good air flow like a K&N. It also sucks in a lot of dust no matter how often I clean it. My engine isn't completely ruined but it sure isn't right. I have to take off the ADA filter and the velocity stack so I can put the OEM foam filter on. I hope it runs okay after that but it sure doesn't now.