Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman upside down in water. what now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman upside down in water. what now?

long story short i rolled my 07 500 sportsman efi over in about 18" of water and mud. she ran for a few seconds then stuttered and died while upside down. i couldn't get to anything fast enough to shut it off. she was upside down for about 20 min while my wifes Eiger struggled to pull her right side up again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . i have not tried to turn the motor over or anything like that. it looks like the air box has a bunch of oil in it now.

my question is what do i need to do to make sure i dont hurt anything before i try and start it? change the oil and drain the fuel tank? i dont want to screw this up and im kind of a newbie to getting under water. thanks in advance! shawn

Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would definiatly change the oil. Drain the oil out of the air box(always happens when bike gets turned over) You have to change the oil in the differentials(rear and front)because the vent tubes got submegered. Probably going to have to repeat these changes a couple of times. I would run some kerosene in the front differential to clean that out for sure. Change or clean air filter. Drain the carb bowl. I am leaning toward dealership being that it was upside down in the water and it cut off and for the fact that 21 people have veiwed this thread with no response. lol

Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

i hate the dealer! everytime i have taken anything to them i have bigger problems when im done. i can do my fluid changes myself if thats probably it. do think there could be water in the gas tank? mine is EFI so i think my carb bowl should be ok [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . mine is also the deluxe so i have that fancy front end slow down thingy. is there anything special about that? i'm assuming no kerosene in there for sure.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

18" OR 18'?? IF ITS 18 FEET CHANGE ALL FLUIDS ENGINE,TRANS,DIFFS,FUEL+AIR FILTERS,YOU CAN USE CHEAP CRUDE OIL WITH NEAR THE SAME VISCOSITY,RUN IT FOR A MIN.DRAIN,FILL AGAIN, DRAIN,NOW U CAN PUT THE GOOD STUFF+ NEW FILTER,ETC

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

mechanike, lets be reasonable now, seriously man, LOL!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

That fancy slow down thing in the ebs. That is made on to your clutch and should be fine. I forgot about the newer models being fuel injected and as far as the fuel tank goes, yes I would drain it because the vent tube is in the head light pod. I would however put kerosene in the front differential for these are hilliard cluthes and are very sensitive to dirt and water.(rust really quick) Just drain and fill with kerosene run for a bit drain then fill with oil run a bit and then drain and refill one more time. Got to pay to play. lol

Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

Plug the spark plug before trying to crank it. If you have an appreciable amount of water in the cylinder and you try to crank it you are going to bust a piston or head. Trust me, water does not compress!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sassee

Plug the spark plug before trying to crank it. If you have an appreciable amount of water in the cylinder and you try to crank it you are going to bust a piston or head. Trust me, water does not compress!</end quote></div>

I think he meant to say pull the spark plug.

Your deluxe does have ADC in the front differential. There is a clutch in there that stops the drivetrain along with the EBS. In my opinion I would skip the kerosene and just drain the fluids first. If you don't see any signs of water then just refill with the proper fluids run it for a few minutes, drain and then refill again. Just make sure you get the LT front diff fluid. Don't let the dealer tell you that regular premium demand drive fluid will work the same. 2876251 should be the part # for the correct fluid. I have an 07 sportsman 500 deluxe so I just went though all this.

Another thing to do would be to keep the AWD turned off. That way you won't be engaging the ADC clutch and while you are flushing things out it won't wear them out as much if there is a problem.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about things. It sounds like you weren't in that deep of water so you probably didn't get any water in anything. The draining and other tips will make sure everything is checked out but you will more than likely be good to go after checking it all out.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

get rid of any moisture in the pod or in the tank drain the fuel, get a new air filter and change it, you may have clean the mapp sensor but i dont think you will need to, Drain the oil, change the oil, and run it for and hour then change it again, run for another hour and check it if there isnt any milky looking oil then your okay, Dont just assume you have to change all the other fluids, check them first, if they look okay then dont change the other fluids, if its only 18 inchs of water more than likely your okay, As far as Kerosene goes thats your call, I dont use kerosene to clean anything its meant to be burned in a heater but then agin i have a great kerosene heater and cant see the harm of using it for that but its real expensive to use. RP

Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

uh..............yeah................

I did mean to say PULL the plugs. Fat fingers typing on a laptop!!!

Quick Reply: sportsman upside down in water. what now?