Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

425 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have had a problem with an oil leak on my '96 425 magnum twice now and I can't figure how or why it's happening.
Engine oil is spraying onto my right leg, way down by my ankle.
Both times it happened in the winter.
The first occasion was about a year ago.I cleaned everything up and never had another problem with it.No leak on the garage floor,nothing!
This weekend it happened again!
It is spraying out for sure.
I don't know a whole lot about this engine,but is it possible that a breather is getting frozen shut from condensation and causing enough pressure to force oil out of one of the hoses between the oil sump and the engine?
As I said there is no apparent leakage any other time of the year.
Is there anywhere I can see a schematic or something to see if I can figure this out?
Appreciate the help in advance.
Joe

Old 01-29-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Joe

Just thinking off hand, I do not know where the oil is coming from on that side of the machine. I would check all of the oil lines coming in and out of the motor to the oil tank. If you want a diagram of the 425 engine, go to Polaris's website and download the parts manual under ATV's - Trail Tips. You will have to download the 425 expedition. I don't think the engine configuration changed on the new machines much over the old 425 magnums. Let us know if you find the problem.

Old 01-30-2001, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply,
I called the dealer I bought it from today and he was of little help.I thought that it was possible that this might be a common problem.
I tried to look at the parts manual suggested,but I've got a slow computer,so I'll try it at work tonight.
I'm pretty sure I've got a breather problem,the oil was spraying onto my leg.And the next morning when I went to check the oil level,I heard a hissing noise when I unscrewed the dipstick.
But,that still doesn't help me pinpiont WHERE the oil is leaking from.
the whole front underside of the motor and various brackets are covered with oil.
Hopefully the schematic I look at will help me to figure it out.
Again,I thought maybe this was a common problem and someone here had experienced something like this before.
Thanks for the reply,I was beginning to wonder since I am new to the board.
Joe

Old 01-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Joe

I hope you find your problem. I have never had my 425 leak any oil. You might try spraying the oil area with degreaser and cleaning it up and then running it again to see if you can isolate the problem. You are right in thinking that the oil system should not have a vacumn to it when the dipstick is removed. Let us know what it was when you find it.