Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman Charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman Charging

I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. This weekend I was riding and the battery light came on about 5 mins after I turned on the lights. I headed home and by the time I got there the guage light was flickering. Needless to say the battery was dead when I tried to restart it. (Battery is 1 month old and tested good). Any opinions on if this could be the alternator or voltage regulator? Is there a way to verify if its one or the other? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the check the plug in on the ecm which controls alot of the charging system. did you check the voltage on the speedo to see what it was putting out while running?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

I am not sure where the ecm is located? Is it pretty easy to find? Also, I dont know if mine shows the voltage on the speedo while its running. The tach hasnt ever worked so would that have something to do with it?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

I just went out to check the speedo to find out if it shows me the voltage. I tabbed through the different displays and didnt see it anywhere. The RPM shows 0 no matter how high I rev it up.
I turned on the lights and let it idle for a while and the battery light came on and the speedo light began to flicker. Once I turned off the lights and reved it up a bit the battery light went back out and the speedo lights were back to solid.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

I just finished Troubleshooting and repairing this on my 04 600Sportsman. Easy way to eliminate the stator-----disconnect three yellow wries going into your voltage reg, with an AMP meter check to see what amps are coming from your stator at idle. should be 13.8 to 15 amps. If you have good amps.......with a charged battery installed......check to see if you have 12.8 volts coming down to the voltage reg from the battery. Local dealership mech swore up and down that it wasn't the volt/reg. He had never changed one. It was alway the stator........Voltage reg should be located up forward of the radiator.........Good Luck

Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Great stuff Thanks!
I looked up forward of the radiator and I only see a device that is about 5"x7" that has fins on it. It has 2 connections ( one on each side) is that the regulator?

Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Where is your manual? To check the voltage all you have to do is put the bike in neutral, lock the hand brake, have the machine off for a minute in this positon, now hold the reverse override button and turn the switch on(not the engine the power) let go of tbe button and the first thing to show is the voltage and then you can scroll through the diagnostics by repeatedly pressing the override button.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Unfortunately, I dont have a manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I went through your process and found the following.

Without the quad running
Screen #1. V26
#2 Clock
#3 Battery 11.1
#4 RPM 0
#5 4x4 off
#6 160 (has the neutral Icon)
#7 0.0 (has the hourglass icon)
*8 MP

With the quad runnign
#1 11.1 Battery (I turn on lights and reverse light and drops to 10.7
#2 0 RPM
#3 4x4 off
#4 158 (has the neutral Icon)
#5 0.0 (with hourglass icon)
#6 MP

How does this look?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

11.1 is too low. The manual says that it is to be around 12.5 or higher. You need to hook that battery up to a trickle charger for at least 13 hours. You are not charging either because when my battery was too weak to start the machine(7.1) I pulled started it and it read up to 14.6 or something like that.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks. I will get the trickle charger hooked up.

As far as the charging what is some good troubleshooting to see what the culprit is? I assume through reading its the voltage regulator, stator or the ECM. I dont want to go buy all 3 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman Charging