Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 800HO Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 800HO Owners

Well, were do I start... It has been a long time since I posted here...
So HELLO to ALL!

I purchased a New 08 800HO Nuclear Sunset 3 weeks ago and have been very pleased with it... I have owned and worked on almost every Polaris Wheeler since 2000.. My 2000 SP 500 was almost bullet proof... Jumped to an 03 700.. Then to an 04.5 700 EFI... Then an 05 800 EFI... Then an 06 800 EFI LE (Silver)... Now my current 08 800HO EFI.. I have tweaked every machine to the best of my ability and am always looking for more....

Let me tell you what I have done to my current machine:
I purchased it with Polaris 14" Aluminum Rims with Maxxis Bighorns on them...
Added the following: Rear Bumper, Front Brush Guard, Hand Guards, Front and Rear Rack Extenders Polaris 2500lb Winch, Rear BackUP Lights, K&N Air Filter, Jam Hard Radiator Guard, 60" Glacier Plow, Symtec Hand and Thumb Warmers, Otto Engineering Factory Style Toggle Switches, Reverse Over-ride Kit (Home-Made) 3 way Headlight Mod (Home-Made) KFI 2" Reciever, Fiberglass Heat Shield to side Panels above exhaust and a Polaris Urocal Decal that is my trademark that was off an 03 SP600...

Fixes: Heat Shield on Plastic Over the Exhaust. I also had a vibration that sounded like the heat shield but was not. It ended up being the Metal Battery Holder where it hooked to the Frame to the rear of the machine... Rubber Coated It and took care of the problem.

Issues I still have:
The Exhaust heat is still an issue when riding slow in shorts... or with the kids...
I am going to try Purple Ice in the radiator??? Suggestions???
I will be adding a Soft sided Rear cargo Bag... WITH COOLERS!
Support for the rear rack to avoid breaking the front corners...
Support for the Wheelwells that seem to bend down when riding aggressively standing up...
Need to figure an easy way to carry 5 gallons of fuel to increase my range...

I have said enough... If Anyone has any tips or tricks to improve the ride-ability of this thing shoot me an PM...

Jon

Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 800HO Owners

Not sure if you are trying to brag or asking a question????

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Range Rover
Default 08 800HO Owners

My intention for the post was to say hello to all of those that I have communicated with before and have lost contact with.. and to inform those who care that I have purchased a new wheeler. I have been a member since 2003 (A little longer than 2007) and have shared knowledge.. parts... and even laughs with a number of members here. The forum is to share knowledge, experiences, and laughs ect...
Not to unzip your trousers and look down to see what you have.. (Or don't Have)..
If you would like to PM me feel free to.

Jon

Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 800HO Owners

Do you need a Hug? Cuz I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 800HO Owners

Welcome Back

Probally cant do much about the heat except maybe some heat wrap, My 500 gets real Hot there and my Cousins 800 gets the same heat, purple ice is good stuff and it works but not a big HP increase, Your timing will only be advanced 1/2 degree, And if your needing support for the rear rack your way overloaded IMO The fuel thing get a fuel pack, I think Stendori just bought 1, i always stash a little fuel in the woods in case and i can also get one heck of a fire started. RP

Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 800HO Owners

Ohhhhh one more thing, If Our sportsmans could lose 50-100 pounds they would rule All.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 800HO Owners

long time no post wayout. i added a kolpin gas pac(4 gallons) so you could extend your range. as far as the heat issue they all do it and make sure to keep the rad. clean. if you live in a warm climate and no freezing worries then an addtive such as you mentioned might help. some guys even wrapped their exhaust or cermaic coated it. i cnat wear shorts at all w/ mine as i would burn my leg.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Range Rover
Default 08 800HO Owners

Thanks for the replies... Always good to hear what everyone else has been doing and there experiences. I will probably get the Kolpin gas pac. The rear rack is just a brace to run to the corner so when I am climbing around on the back rack it doesnt flex so much... same with the wheel wells slowly bending down.... I weigh in at 285 and stand 6'1" so they bend when riding standing... Maybe I should take up running instead of ATVing... Stendori... Great to hear from you again... I have been away for awhile but I am back for awhile until busy-ness sets in again... I didn't get but 400 or so miles on the 06 800 I had... but really wanted to update my ride... I see you did the same... I will probably live with the exhaust heat the best I can... Just going to need to stay on the throttle and moving forward...
Hopefully I keep this one on at least two wheels at all times... the old one decided to flip over and land on me.... This one is a way better ride... Check out my gallery to see what I have... I will update pics when I can...

Jon

Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 800HO Owners

The header wrap works wonders IMO, search my posts I have posted the pics/details in a couple of threads. It's very easy to do, fairly inexpensive, and harmless to the machine if you just do the short exposed area and a little to either side and make sure you don't put the machine away with the wrap wet. I did mine and I rarely ever even think about the exhaust heat, before the wrap it would cook my leg on slow trails.

Welcome back!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 800HO Owners

ya the heat does suck for sure and i know people like^^ has done the wrap w/ good results. myself its just not worth it to do all that when i can put on pants instead.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 08 800HO Owners