Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which plow to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008 | 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which plow to get?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dcso3009

I am in the market for a snow plow for my SP 800. I went to my local Polaris dealer and they seemed VERY high priced at over $600. What is a reasonable price for a plow system? Which plow works best for residential use? I am not looking for a V plow, or a "county plow" wing style.... Just a straight blade. Also what size do you recommend?

Thanks</end quote></div>

*****If you go to AGRICOVER.COM they have what they call their "SnowSport All Terrain Plow." No winch is needed : ) The plow blade is aluminum. The only down-side I can see is the price... starting at $719. I've never used a plow on my current atv and don't have a winch. Their set up looks very easy to use. Check out their website because they have video clips to watch.

Old 10-11-2008 | 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

The plow itself is 16" high</end quote></div>

Cool, thanks for the info!

Old 10-11-2008 | 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know if Polaris has improved the mounting plate for the Glacier 2 set-up but mine bent, was replaced twice, and now I had a welder re-inforce welding to see if that does the trick.

If Polaris has not changed their design on the Glacier 2 mounting plate, I would NOT recommend that you guys buy one. You will be very dissapointed as I was.

The idea for the welding came from a guy on this Forum sometime last year. Many GL2 owners had the same problem.

Good luck in your search![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2008 | 10:33 PM
Moto Psycho

I heard about people having problems bending the Glaier II but not the Glacier I. Mine is the original Glacier plow and it works great. Last winter I had so much snow piled up that I was driving halfway up the pile and piling it up even higher. I couldn't do that with my CMP plow because it didn't lift up as high and I would have been stuck up there.

Old 10-13-2008 | 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Polaris911

*****If you go to AGRICOVER.COM they have what they call their "SnowSport All Terrain Plow." No winch is needed : ) The plow blade is aluminum. The only down-side I can see is the price... starting at $719. I've never used a plow on my current atv and don't have a winch. Their set up looks very easy to use. Check out their website because they have video clips to watch.</end quote></div>

I seen that "plow" on dirt trax or one of those ATV shows a couple of weeks ago. It looked like an overpriced piece of crap built with the specific purpose of duping those who don't know any better.

Seriously, it looked like it was designed by a retard.

The mounting system was pathetic in the extreme and looked like you couldn't possibly ride the thing off road with the mounting bracket attached. The bracket looked like it was a few inches off the floor. Imagine the entire trailer hitch frame from your pick-up bolted to your A-arms. Yeah that bad.

It couldn't even be "lifted" like a snow blade. To lift it, you had to get off the ATV and yank the thing up by hand and pin it. To put it back down you had to get off once again and lower it and insert the pins again.

It also had the "feature" of flopping around when you go in reverse. The only reason for this "feature" was because they designed it so that you couldn't lift the blade without getting off the ATV and repositioning the blade and pinning it in place.

A third of the blade or so wasn't even metal but a rubber squeegee. This "feature" was so that you could clean driveways without scratching the concrete. They also said it was good for using on gravel because it was so soft. Trouble was that a few seconds later the factory salesman admitted that it got hard and rigid when it got cold. Guess that whole squeegee thing only works in the summer.

I was amazed that the reviewer could even keep a straight face as he reviewed that piece of trash. It was freaking hilarious when the factory guy was showing how to raise and lower the blade. You could see the poor reviewer desperately trying to come up with some sort of comment as to why it was such a good system when he knew it was so badly designed it couldn't even reach the level of half assed. It was just so embarrassingly bad you really felt sorry for the reviewer and the poor schmuck trying to peddle that pile of crap. They capped the whole review off with the factory guy, dress shoes and all, pushing around some dust in a vacant lot that had the consistency of talcum powder.

Just embarrassingly bad. If I was the guy in charge of media relations for that company I'd be pulling my hair out and firing everyone responsible for such a hideous cluster funk. If I was the guy responsible for that design I'd reconsider my aptitude for my chosen profession.

Old 10-14-2008 | 03:17 AM
Moto Psycho

After reading that review I had to see the video. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I didn't plan on watching it because I thought that plow was a piece of crap when they made it for Jeeps and trucks, so i didn't even look at the ATV plow.

It's suppossed to be inexpensive according to them, but there are several plows that are cheaper. Maybe ALL other plows are cheaper. Anyway, you can get a winch and plow cheaper than that and use the winch whenever you want to.

When the snow is deep sometimes I raise the blade halfway and the winch holds it there while I plow the top half of the snow. What can you do with this one? Have a buddy lying on the front rack holding it halfway up? That would be interesting when I plow it 3-4 feet up on top of the pile. Hold on tight dude!!!

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>[i]Originally posted by: CaptainQuint[/i

I seen that "plow" on dirt trax or one of those ATV shows a couple of weeks ago. It looked like an overpriced piece of crap built with the specific purpose of duping those who don't know any better.

</end quote></div>

It seems that I didn't completely understand what I looking at when I saw it on TV and then checked out the website. It looked very simple to me and easy to use. I liked how it didn't need a winch, etc... A big reason for my posting of the plow information was feedback and/or reviews. I must say thanks for your opinion because I'm definately going to take a pass on getting the plow.

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Polaris911

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

</end quote></div>

It seems that I didn't completely understand what I looking at when I saw it on TV and then checked out the website. It looked very simple to me and easy to use. I liked how it didn't need a winch, etc... A big reason for my posting of the plow information was feedback and/or reviews. I must say thanks for your opinion because I'm definately going to take a pass on getting the plow.</end quote></div>

If the thing was dirt cheap (like 100 bucks) and marketed as being an extremely economical way to plow the occasional snowfall I could see the point of it. However, it is extremely expensive and doesn't seem to be the least bit practical. Everything it does a less expensive plow could do much better, do faster and be far less annoying to use.

Old 10-19-2008 | 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I love my Glacier. The mounting plate is rugged and makes for a very easy on/off mount. I used mine all last winter, plowing both my sidewalks and the turn around where I live. I think the xtra $$ is money well spent.