Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Reliability

Biz, I bought an XP850 in January. Love it. It so blows away anything I had ridden in the last four months. So smooth and fast; yeah it's heavier, but I like the feel of the weight. The Grizzly felt too light and top heavy. The power on the XP is just awesome, especially above 6000 rpm....just takes off like a rocket. I bought a set of Prospector Pro S tracks for the snow....awesome for plowing, and it's a whole lot of fun. Only problem I have had is self inflicted.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

I should add that I really like my 850 as well. When everyone was talking about the 850 doing wheelies just on throttle I was wondering what was wrong with mine. Well with some more miles on it it seems to have caught up. Just about straight up if I'm not careful. It is a very nice handling machine. I like the weight also for traction and handling. My buddies 660 Grizzly seems very tippy when I turned it sharply at slow speed in comparison. I still haven't found a long enough straight section to really get it up past 60 mph. It just seems to eat up the road in a hurry.
Take good care,
Dave

Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 600Grizzly

I should add that I really like my 850 as well. When everyone was talking about the 850 doing wheelies just on throttle I was wondering what was wrong with mine. Well with some more miles on it it seems to have caught up. Just about straight up if I'm not careful. It is a very nice handling machine. I like the weight also for traction and handling. My buddies 660 Grizzly seems very tippy when I turned it sharply at slow speed in comparison. I still haven't found a long enough straight section to really get it up past 60 mph. It just seems to eat up the road in a hurry.

Take good care,

Dave</end quote></div>

How many miles are on your machine? Becauase mine will not wheelie when stabing the throttle from a dead stop...well I didn't really hold it there that long either.

So far, the machine has been great so far, and like I said in previous posts, I wish Polaris put a larger fuel tank in so that you can at least get 80 miles per tank, not like the 60 I'm getting now.

My machine should be broken in by now so I will see how it does on the next ride.

Pete

Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

How many miles are on your machine? Becauase mine will not wheelie when stabing the throttle from a dead stop...well I didn't really hold it there that long either.

So far, the machine has been great so far, and like I said in previous posts, I wish Polaris put a larger fuel tank in so that you can at least get 80 miles per tank, not like the 60 I'm getting now.

My machine should be broken in by now so I will see how it does on the next ride.

Pete</end quote></div>

Might be a traction thing or a throttle thing.. In soft dirt I have to sit at the back of the seat and stab it from a stop or most times it will just spin the tires..On pavement on the other hand i can lay over the handlebars and nail it and it will stand straight up..that is with Bighorns. Are you actually quickly nailing the throttle or are you just rolling into it?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Might be a traction thing or a throttle thing.. In soft dirt I have to sit at the back of the seat and stab it from a stop or most times it will just spin the tires..On pavement on the other hand i can lay over the handlebars and nail it and it will stand straight up..that is with Bighorns. Are you actually quickly nailing the throttle or are you just rolling into it?</end quote></div>

I tried this on pavement, but I wasn't sitting back in the seat, or holding the throttle very long either, basically just nailing it quickly.

My tires are the stock Carlisles.

Pete

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Might be a traction thing or a throttle thing.. In soft dirt I have to sit at the back of the seat and stab it from a stop or most times it will just spin the tires..On pavement on the other hand i can lay over the handlebars and nail it and it will stand straight up..that is with Bighorns. Are you actually quickly nailing the throttle or are you just rolling into it?</end quote></div>

I tried this on pavement, but I wasn't sitting back in the seat, or holding the throttle very long either, basically just nailing it quickly.

My tires are the stock Carlisles.

Pete</end quote></div>

I bet throttle apprehension is the problem..it's normal took me awhile to feel comfortable being aggressive out of the hole on a new machine with a little different feel than what I am used to..the 850 launches a litle differently..you need to hold it long enough for the power to transfer to the ground..once you get the hang of it you'll see how easy it is the wheelie.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

You are absolutely right Rod. I only rode this machine three times since I purchased it back in January, but not that it's broken in, I'm going to ride it a little harder, plus I will see if I can get this machine to wheelie.

My old Kawasaki Prairie 650 used to wheelie buy just pulling up on the handlebars a little. This machine definitely has more grunt so it shouldn't be a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

On another note, why are you selling the ATV Guru Brush Guards? Did you decide to put the Polaris Deluxe Brushguards back on?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

You are absolutely right Rod. I only rode this machine three times since I purchased it back in January, but not that it's broken in, I'm going to ride it a little harder, plus I will see if I can get this machine to wheelie.

My old Kawasaki Prairie 650 used to wheelie buy just pulling up on the handlebars a little. This machine definitely has more grunt so it shouldn't be a problem [img][/img]

On another note, why are you selling the ATV Guru Brush Guards? Did you decide to put the Polaris Deluxe Brushguards back on?</end quote></div>

You know I'm not trying hard to sell them but I would sell them..I may end up putting them back on but right now i'm not running any. I'm kind of torn on whether to run any or not..