Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

lock and ride anchor kits*looking for after market????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lock and ride anchor kits*looking for after market????

Even if the boat plug is a smidge too big it could be ground down on a sanding or grinding wheel. The rubber is solid rubber...right? So it wouldn't hurt to shave it a hair to fit a persons needs,just a thought.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would still have to tinker around with them to put a washer on them. I have one of the clamp type plugs in my fishing boat and on the one end is a small washer, but they stop the threads so that you cant unscrew it all the way and take the rubber part off. All you would have to do is grind it down so you could slide the washer and plug off, then install a larger washer, the rubber plug, and finally the washer it came with and I think you would be good to go. You can really crank the clamp type ones down good. If you used a couple of these in a box I would be willing to bet it would be sufficient enough and you wouldnt have to worry about them popping out.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Note it must be the 1 1/4" plugs that fit 1" is too small.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I have been experimenting with the same thing. I am going o mount a cargo box on back but want quick on-off capability. I thought bilge plugs might do the trick. Some dude is machining aftermarket Lock and ride plugs, but they are like twice as expensive as the ones Popo sellss because they are billet, look nice though!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

I made up differant versions of lock and ride anchors with expandable plugs that plumbers use,they can be found at any ace hardware.I have some with eyebolts and some with hooks,use a t nut on the bottom to pull up into the rubber and hold and a washer on top and when you turn the eyebolt or hook it will expand the rubber plug.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sdbowcrazy

I made up differant versions of lock and ride anchors with expandable plugs that plumbers use,they can be found at any ace hardware.I have some with eyebolts and some with hooks,use a t nut on the bottom to pull up into the rubber and hold and a washer on top and when you turn the eyebolt or hook it will expand the rubber plug.</end quote></div>

Great idea!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I'd be absolutely shocked if the wholesale price of those Lock N Ride anchors are over
2 bucks. I'd guess it's more on the order of a dollar. Sounds like Polaris is just trying to do two things:

1. Make obscene money on the mark-up of a very inexpensive item.

2. Steer people into buying Polaris brand lock n ride accessories. I'm sure the profit margin on the various Polaris boxes, and such are quite good and they'd much rather have you buy from them rather than fabricate something yourself.

Either way it isn't a nice thing to do to customers who've already spent thousands of dollars with your company. I'm not saying they should give them away or take a loss but be a little more fair with your loyal customers.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

I think the ones i made cost me around 12 bucks for everything and i made 4 of them,the only differance is on the lock and rides you just have to flip the lever.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If I remember, I'll try to find my lever locking boatplug tomorrow and give it a try. It is a 1" also. I get the feeling it will work fine unless they went with a bigger mounting hole on the XPs.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I was at Bass Pro yesterday, and they had all kinds of the ones with a lever that I think would work real good

Quick Reply: lock and ride anchor kits*looking for after market????