Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ground Clearence on 425

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much ground clearence does a 425 Xpidition have stock, and how much can you get with a Lift, and 28" Outlaws? Just wondering.

Old 01-31-2001, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

i beleive stock i had 7-8 inches at the rear pumpkin which is its lowest point..with the 27 bi-tri claws its now an inch higher,of course..i have a lift in the front only(2 inch)to keep the tires off the fenders..the quad spins the tires no problem,plenty of power..there is a guy on this forum(425expedition) with 28`s and 3 inches of lift,he also has made new front a frames to put the tires forward away from the fenders..

Old 01-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I own the xpedition 425. I think its rated at 9 inches but its not really nine. It has a straight axle which looks less then 9 inches and thats where you loose ground clearance; where the sp500 has independent suspension, so its a different kind of clearance which makes it better in the mud. I think any one can buy either a 2 inch or 4 inch lift kit, but then that becomes the weakest part of your atv and lift kits frequently break plus they cause so much wear on cv's and tie-rods.
Even with the lift. Your only raising the body, so they axle clearance remains the same and mud will still stop us at the same point. Each inch size tire upgrade will only gain us, probably no more then 1/2 inch clearance. I think it would be hard to have an xpedition handle 28 inch tires. I think
we can handle 27 inch with spacers and or progressive lift springs/cams. I would also worry about the power drop off with 28 inch. Owning an xpedition. I think the biggest I would go is 27 inch, my self, with aluminum rims which is what I have now with 26 inch mud bugs. I wish I had bought 27 inch. the xpedition like the magnum 500 will get stuck before the sp500 does. So far, I refuse to put a lift kit on. -----rangerchet

Old 01-31-2001, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

rangerchet,not all lift kits are the same,what i mean is with my lift that i made i have only increased the angle of the c/v`s by very little..if you dont pull the strut out of the base it doesnt change the angle little if any..most lift kits are only blocks(spacers) that preload the spring,making it harder to compress thus keeping the tire from bashing the fender on the bumps..you wouldnt need spacers for a 27" tire for your quad(off set wheels a must) but would need to do something with the springs which can be fixed with progressive shocks(expensive) or a few pieces of pipe welded together for next to nothing(cheap way)..i dont think ill have any problems with my c/v`s due to the lift,but if i get the claws in a good bind when stuck in mud i bet the torque of the quad will rip something up,but because of the extra traction of the tires not the angle of the c/v..just my opinions based on facts of working on my quad..oh and my 27`s clear the fenders no problem at all,and the stock height at the rear pumpkin like i said was around 7.5 inches,the 9 inch is probably on the belly plate

Old 01-31-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

jb,

I just measured my bike and at the lowest point on the rear diff it is 9.5", at the bottom of the rear axle it is 13" and at the front is 15" under the diff. I could get more out of the front but you know the consequences as well as I do.

Old 02-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

425Xpedition,
And everyone else thanks for the info. working on a possible new bike, and cant make mind up between SP500, and 425 Xped.. After watching a few 425's in action I am starting to believe that the 425 has more low end then a SP500. Love my SP500, just want something new so selling my SP500.

Old 02-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

The xpedition 425 is a fun machine to ride. I like mine. Its different then the sp500's. I call it the small tank. Its built tough. The dealer in duluth called this morning as they got my polaris brush guard and new winch mount for my winch in. My dad is bringing my atv there today. I am hoping they get it all on by saturday so I can take it out sunday. I keep my atv up north about 150 miles
at my dads. My dad has a 1994 non-named polaris 300 atv. It runs good. He has a plow on it and he plows his drive way and swing out drive way with it. We are getting allot of snow this winter. I take my xpedition out on the trails all summer and
use it grouse hunting all fall. And take it out on
trails a few times in the winter. A few of us get together, once in a while in the summer and trail ride on some of the atv trails. The xpedition will
keep up with everyone although the newer sp500's is faster. the sp500's can go through more mud to.
But the xpedition does allright. I have enjoyed putting things on my atv to make it nice. I'm letting the shop put on my new brush guard and switch winch mounts so it will be setup right. I can't wait to knock down some brush with my new brush guard. I bought a chain saw last week to. I have a personal atv trail that has some downed trees in the path. The chain saw will make light work of it. I am hoping that polaris one day will make a new xpedition 625 cc maybe and maybe more then 5 speeds. I would buy that one. rangerchet