Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 TB 250 tranny help, needs rebuild i think

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 TB 250 tranny help, needs rebuild i think

we just bought my gf an 04 polaris trailblazer 250 and i think something is seriously screwed with the tranny, it runs perfect engine wise, but when we first ran it around we noticed that it made some noises in the rearend but i figured it was the chain or something now its real bad and only when its in drive, in reverse its fine though no noise at all no matter how fast i go. but when i put it in drive and pull off you hear alot of clunking and clatter noise and when i pulled the tranny dipstick out it was a silvery looking oil and it was overfilled like crazy also, i could touch the fluid with my finger. so im guessing i need a rebuild and was wondering if somebody could gimmie a heads up or some info aboud these trannys and what usually goes bad on them and if its very pricey. im gonna need to buy a manual also and i dont know a good place to get one sine bikebandit doesnt have them. any help would be great. i have a good amount of mechanical experience but im new to the polaris world, thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

any help? i have no i dont have any experience with these, thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure it is the tranny first.Check rear axle bearings first,then check the secondary clutch.If it turns out to be the tranny get you a manual and it is a very simple job.If you get into it and it needs a bunch of parts and decide to go used 2000-up Trailblazer,400-500 Scramber 2x4,325-330 Trailboss will interchange

Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

alright yea i figured it was the tranny because it only made bad noises in drive, reverse was noise free, and would there be silvery oil in the tranny if it was something wrong with the PVT? i guess ill start by pulling the left side cover off and inspecting the clutch, where could i get a manual? you think i could order one from autozone? thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Ebay will be your cheapest.I recomend the factory service manual.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like your silent chain is loose in the gearcase. with the silvery oil i would replace the bearings in it too. there really isnt al that much in there. harder to remove gearcase from bike than to tear it apart and repair it.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 91Warrior357

we just bought my gf an 04 polaris trailblazer 250 and i think something is seriously screwed with the tranny, it runs perfect engine wise, but when we first ran it around we noticed that it made some noises in the rearend but i figured it was the chain or something now its real bad and only when its in drive, in reverse its fine though no noise at all no matter how fast i go. but when i put it in drive and pull off you hear alot of clunking and clatter noise and when i pulled the tranny dipstick out it was a silvery looking oil and it was overfilled like crazy also, i could touch the fluid with my finger. so im guessing i need a rebuild and was wondering if somebody could gimmie a heads up or some info aboud these trannys and what usually goes bad on them and if its very pricey. im gonna need to buy a manual also and i dont know a good place to get one sine bikebandit doesnt have them. any help would be great. i have a good amount of mechanical experience but im new to the polaris world, thanks</end quote></div>

If grinding type noise like chain jumping teeth possible silent chain in trans needs replacing,plus check shift forks and gears. AS posted above if doing work yourself,manual highly recommended. I do a lot of these on Trail bosses and trail blazers. Good luck

Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

yea i saw a pic of the internals on the tranny and it seems pretty simple. oddly after draining the old oil and putting new oil at the correct level the next day after it was making bad clunking noises i rode it and there wasnt any noise, just barely every once in a while, so i took it out riding hard to see if i could get it too do it again and it seemed that if i rode at high speeds for a long period of time it would start to make a little noise again. so at this point im not sure what to do, i live kinda far from a polaris dealer to buy the polaris synthetic tranny oil these things are supposed to use i guess but right now im using 80w spectro gear oil, and im not sure if maybe i should use something else.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

The tranny really is simple. I rebuilt mine with just a parts diagram off of the internet.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

91Warrior357, check your PM. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 03 TB 250 tranny help, needs rebuild i think