Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dangers while riding!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008 | 10:50 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Dangers while riding!!

I've been working on these atv's for 18 years or so now and never owned any till this year. I just finished one for my wife so we went out to a pasture riding to see how she liked it. Shes on hers, I was on mine. Anyway we were just riding around so she could get the feel of it and all of a sudden I see a snake strike at me. If I would have been a 1/2 foot further to the left, with a LUCKY strike he could have nailed me easily. Yes it was a rattlesnake.

I have been out in that pasture shooting prairie dogs, hunting coyotes, drinking beer etc. for around 9 years now. Thats the first time I've ever seen a snake of any sort out there so it never even crossed my mind to worry about it.

I just thought I mention it and say maybe the guys riding with tennis shoes, shorts, etc may want to rethink their clothing choices.

Any similar issues you guys have had?

Old 10-18-2008 | 10:57 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Jeez! Did you kill it or run over it?

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:00 AM
|
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Jeez! Did you kill it or run over it?</end quote></div>

Both! Repeatedly.

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

never a snake but i have had other incounters,ran over a groundhog(he wasnt happy)hit a bees nest and on a fire road i came face to face with a black bear.

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey,

Kicked up deer a bunch of times and a FOX once
ran under me. When I was riding last week up in the mountains
I was riding about 20mph and down by my right shin
felt like something darted me. I don't know, I looked all around
to see if a branch or something, I wonder if a squirrel or some other
small animal if I kicked up and hit my wheel well or something?

Agreed, jeans, boots at least should be worn on wooded trails
and going thru fields and thick brush. I guess it depends on
what you know, what you are familiar to, w/r to the terrain
and wildlife to for sure, IMO.

R'

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Snake musta' been an environmentalist whacko getting even with you for daring to enjoy yourself. You dealt with it appropriately. Here in Massachusetts it's illegal to kill a rattler. Not saying more. Mostly the most dangerous thing I've found is young kids ripping around blind corners. All of a sudden, there they are right in your face. Another good reason to ride a nice heavy well built quad.

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yikes!

Haven't ever had a close call...............and never really thought about it.....well, until now!LOL!

Wearing jeans and boots are always a good idea.

Well, now that I think about it, I did see a little chipmunk running for dear-life about 10 feet in front of me once! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Later,
~MT

Old 10-18-2008 | 12:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

Yikes!

Haven't ever had a close call...............and never really thought about it.....well, until now!LOL!</end quote></div>

Thats why I thought I would post it here. I never thought about it either. ive been riding for years(dirt bikes, and harleys) but am new to quad riging(other than test drives). I'm really getting into it to be honest.

it may have been a 1 in a million chance for him to get me, but there's still a chance.

Old 10-18-2008 | 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Last summer I was riding in Medicine Bow National Forest and a HUGE deer crossed right in front of me. I'm glad I was going slow so my wife could catch up to me.

Old 10-18-2008 | 01:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

I also hit a cat on my 250r when I was 14. He jumped out of the weeds and i never saw him. He was pissed!!! I felt bad on that one. It was probably someones pet. He was alive yet but tore up.

Come to think of it I hit a blind dog once too at about 14. I was on the other side of the road and he ran across and right under me. I thought he would stop, but he didn't and i couldn't go any further over without hitting trees. Should have just stopped. He was ok though. I told the owners and thats how I found out he was blind. Felt bad on that one too. He lived without injury!

Maybe I should give up the riding. Pets and critters aren't safe evidently the more I think of it. All accidents, I promise!

I had a cow and calf moose run in front of me at Rampart when I was 19 riding dirt bikes. That was cool though.

Quick Reply: Dangers while riding!!