Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Removing stock grips....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008 | 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default Removing stock grips....

You can do it like I did. Hold on to the grip with both hands while placing both feet in the footwell on the grips side. Keep going until either the grip pops off or you pop off. Seriously, a hot hair dryer helps, compressed air is best, or cut them off. I have also heard the hairspray trick to install the new ones. I used grip glue and it holds fantastic. I don't know if the heated grips will affect the glue or not.

Old 11-06-2008 | 01:06 AM
|
Pro Rider

Howdy everyone......thanx to all that answered my call of need. I removed one grip with a heat gun and elbow grease.....got a nasty blister too. I don't recommend that way at all. Then I tried the heat gun with compressed air....a little pull on the grip and it was off in a flash......no sweat and no extra blister. I was so shocked at how easy the grip came off. I replaced the grips with the (475-875-ATV) made by HotGrips. I at first ordered the 475-875 and it was for a motorcycle. One grip had a 7/8 hole for the handle bar and the other grip was a one inch hole with an adapter to 7/8 inch. I don't care much for adapters. I reordered with ATV in the part number and the grips came with 7/8 holes. I also got the adjustable heat control. I removed the EFI rubber plug on my light pod and mounted the control there. The wiring is easier with the adjustable control. I sanded the shine off the handlebars, added some epoxy....slid the grips on and left to let the epoxy cure. The grips were easy to put on. Just got back from a 4-day ride around Eagle Lake, CA and it was a bit cold, rainy and snowing. These HotGrips are the cat's meow. They worked and worked well. I like the adjustable heat control instead of just the low or high settings. Anyway....I'm pleased with the performance of the HotGrips and again, thanx for the brainfood to get this project on the road. NoJoke

Old 11-06-2008 | 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

Great tips guys! I'm going to be getting some Hot Grips soon and was wondering how I would install them!