Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default NO SPARK please please help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 95sportsman400

Old polaris tech where did you run off to?[IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Still around!! If head and cylinder not warped and have run enough to clear pipe of excess coolant,BUT still smoking and smells like coolant,then you could have a hairline crank in coolant jacket in cylinder leaking into combustion chamber????? BOUT run out of possibilities?Also has carb needle and seat been replaced,will cause excess smoking also because of fuel and is oil pump ok,not corroded or frozen up?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes a longgggg time to burn all the antifreeze out of the exhaust system. Does the engine overheat? Is coolant coming out of the overflow? Did you check the counterbalancer oil level or if there is coolant in it again? If you have cylinder or head problems, it will pressurize the coolant system and blow out the overflow bottle.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

The quad dont overheat unless its just sitting still for a while.....i put a fan blowing on the radiator while its idlein in the shop and its fine....the fan on the quad dont kick on unless you go out and ride it....nothing is coming back into the overflow and i checked the counterbalancer oil after the first time i ran it and it idnt look as if there was any fluid in there again.....i will check that again after running it some more today. how long is looooooong when getting this stuff out of the exhaust?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

If nothing out of overflow, then cylinder and head are good. If no oil in ctrbalancer then engine sucked it in thru crankshaft seal and burned it and that is the smoke youre seein. Dont run it if no oil in ctrblncr, you will ruin the 2 gears. theres only 4 oz 10w-30 in it.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok I will check the counterballancer oil again....I have rode it around today quite a bit and seems to run really well. The smoke is a blue color so it tells me its burning oil (which is a good thing for a 2-stroke lol) but i just wonder if that injection system it has is dumping to much oil in it or what the deal is because I use to have a Trailblazer 250 and it never did that.....it never smoked and it ran forever! I was wondering if i should somehow block that oil injection system off and just mix my own oil? If not how do you get it to quit smokin so much?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure theres oil in the balncr. Is oil level on top of shaded area on dipstick? If that oil is getting past the crank seal, it will smoke alot. Remember, that is regular motor oil .

Old 11-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Checked the counterbalancer oil again after riding it for like 2 hours.....PLAIN OIL!!!!! NO ANTIFREEZE and its still full!!!!!!!!!! I did something right! Now.......its smokin from the oil that its injecting itself im assuming because its blue smoke....how can we fix some of this? I understand its suppose to some a little bit but I dont think its suppose to smoke this much?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

What kind of injection oil are you using? Polaris 2-cycle synthetic blend smokes very little. Oil that is NMMA TC-W3 is only a marine spec and does not have any exhaust smoke blocking additives. The best way to check oil consumtion is to know the amount of oil you put in the injection tank and the amount of fuel you burn and this ratio should be around 50:1.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been using Lucas Synthetic Blend 2stroke oil......I guess I will switch to using the polaris and see if it clears it up.?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Should be fine, check for API , JASO , or ISO spec. Have heard all good of Lucas oil. They are big in off road truck racing.

Quick Reply: NO SPARK please please help