Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hold the brake before starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hold the brake before starting?

Is there an easy way to disconnect this without disabling the brake light?
That's one thing I miss about the Jap machines with the little green button , right by your left hand.
Mine always starts easier when warm if I give it a little gas. I already know, I can either, lock or hold the brake, or put it in neutral or park, I'd rather not mess with this 15 or 20 times a day, especially when we just stop for a second to see which way we want to go.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What are we talking about here? Sportsman 90 or what? IF is the youth model with the combo brake light/starter interlock,has a small pin connector harness into brake assy that terminates into two wires. I SUPPOSE you can tie em together to eliminate holding brake to start,BUT brake light will always be on. Havent had this asked before!!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Oh sorry Old Polaris Tech, they are '08 Sportsman 400 HO and '08 Sportsman 500 EFI.
I really did'nt want to mess up the brake light circuit. I'm surprised no body else has mentioned this. My last ATV was a Yamaha and it was the same way, having to hold the brake to start but with it you could hold the brake and push the starter button with the same hand, so it was no biggie.
Unforunately, it sounds like the brake light and the starter may be on the same circuit, huh?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, do you guys know if you are supposed to do this on a 1988 trail boss 250? I'm having trouble getting spark. I just bought it and only had it running once since I bought it. I'm wondering If my coil went bad or If it could be something else more simple. I hadn't even thought about applying the brake.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Howmon

Hey, do you guys know if you are supposed to do this on a 1988 trail boss 250? I'm having trouble getting spark. I just bought it and only had it running once since I bought it. I'm wondering If my coil went bad or If it could be something else more simple. I hadn't even thought about applying the brake.</end quote></div>

no you dont need to hold the brake on those. check all your grounds before going any further

Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: max49

Oh sorry Old Polaris Tech, they are '08 Sportsman 400 HO and '08 Sportsman 500 EFI.

I really did'nt want to mess up the brake light circuit. I'm surprised no body else has mentioned this. My last ATV was a Yamaha and it was the same way, having to hold the brake to start but with it you could hold the brake and push the starter button with the same hand, so it was no biggie.

Unforunately, it sounds like the brake light and the starter may be on the same circuit, huh?</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] JUST another way to keep away from lawsuits I suppose if some kid was to start in gear with throttle wide open(probably has happened)! OR Feds getting tougher on atv manufacturers! There is a brake light switch and may be possible to bypass,BUT you didnt hear that from me![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Is this 'brake before starting' new, only on the newer ATVs?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Must be. I usually lock the hand brake anyway when I turn it off, but I like using one hand to turn the key and another to work the choke and the throttle.

Another reason to get EFI I guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Range Rover

Our 06 700 will start in gear without holding the brake, that's whay I was kinda worried one night when wife and I went riding and we stopped for a few minutes. I couldn't get the 850 to start back up, as it was still in high gear. So I put it in park and it fired right up, next stop I left it in gear and tried the brake before starting and it of course started. I'm guessing it must have started in 07.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Howmon
Hey, do you guys know if you are supposed to do this on a 1988 trail boss 250? I'm having trouble getting spark. I just bought it and only had it running once since I bought it. I'm wondering If my coil went bad or If it could be something else more simple. I hadn't even thought about applying the brake.
I've been working small engines for quite a bit. To get spark make sure you have a clean ground. Once you apply power to the ATV grab your starter recoil rope and pull. It will be easier to pull the spark plug so you don't separate your shoulder. On this 2004 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4, it doesn't do anything by the starter button because this ATV has no brakes and parts are getting tough to find to make this things safe to ride. It will crank though at the rope housing. If there are any other guys or girls that have been tinkering with their bikes and can let me know if I'm right or wrong please let me know. I hate to be putting out bad information.