Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

xp stock tires suck

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xp stock tires suck

How do you guys think the stock tires are going to do in the snow? The snow shouldn't stick in the tires lugs as bad as the mud. If it does then I may as well start looking for something else now!
I don't have much deep mud where I'm at, generally about 3" to 6" and then solid rock underneath that,but it is super sticky and heavy clay type mud.
I like the looks of the zilla's and the SS212 also opie1har, that combo would look great on my stealth black 850!
Us poor country boys with dial-up don't watch many video's online they take waaay too long to download, so photo's of your mud hole would be great HIGHOCTANE!
And on a side note;
What? No helmet?!, and Tennis shoes?! For shame For shame!!LOL!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree that the tires look suspect. They aren't spitting out the mud. A good mud tire has sloped sides on the lugs so it is less likely to pack up with mud. Once packed with mud it's like having a slick.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: opie1har

I don't think those would fit without spacers, as there is not that much clearance for width, especially in the rear, it looks pretty tight to me. If I had the money, I would go with the Maxxis Zilla's, only an inch wider on front and rear. This site seems to have a good price, and I am not 100% sure if they would fit in the rear without spacers. I think the SS212 rims would look awesome!! If only I was rich!!</end quote></div>

Just a thought, Are the SS212 rims designed for the XP? If their not how will that affect the ANTI-KICKBACK steering? Maybe a dumb question![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

In that situation less throttle is better and no offense but a skilled rider might have avoided the situation,but nonetheless the tires are WEAK in the mud.</end quote></div>

ouch man! avoided by not going in the mud maybe oloo ;P we had just stopped to get a drink, off to the side where i thought the ground was harder. i got off the bike and we were walking around, the ground was alittle soft but seemed fairely solid. i got back on and took off slow beings i knew the ground was soft. it moved about an inch forward then 4 down. at this point i started to rock it side to side and back and forth, nothing!!! just dug me in further. the tires have no bit.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

And on a side note;

What? No helmet?!, and Tennis shoes?! For shame For shame!!LOL!</end quote></div>

i was in my back yard and i never wear it there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] the shoe are my old paintball cleats(fully water proof)

Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

According to my dealer he has an 850 with 212's with 27x9's front and 27x11's rear XTRs and they fit fine with no spacer. I'm picking mine up next tuesday. 212's and XTRs. As someone noted the terracrosses do not clean at all. Mine grew about 3" in all directions last night,lol. They are like mud magnets.

I'll get it stuck before I put on the XTRs and try to get video.

No offense wlvrn, I wasn't saying I was experienced enough not to get it stuck. But I know a couple people that can work miracles on an ATV. You may be one of those skilled riders, but I felt safe saying that because the very skilled riders are pretty rare. Rider skill and experience does matter. Still the tires didn't help you one bit.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a pic ofthe XP a little muddy. Sorry the pic was an afterthought I had already started cleaning it. But looking at the rear tires you get the idea,and that was after slinging most of the mud off on the pavement.
A few pics of the little mud hole as well. It doesn't look near as bad as it is because the grass hides it,but it is pretty nast stuff.If you step in it you will sink to mid calf or deeper.
Name:  Polaris850mud.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  92.4 KB
Name:  Polaris850pit2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  199.0 KB
Name:  Polaris850pit3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  212.9 KB
Name:  pit4.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  196.6 KB
Name:  Polaris850pit.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  223.1 KB

Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

its cool. nice little trail you got there. my wife keeps buggin me about making part of our lawn a mud pit since its always wet and we cant use it for anything. maybe ill start thinking about it

Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

You've got a great wife if she wants to turn part of your yard into a mud pit,God bless that woman!
My wife loves to ride but I'm sure we will never have a mud pit in the yard.

Pro Rider

Yeah thats basically what that is a drainage ditch,stays wet year around. It's about 100 yards long. I made 2 passes last night,after about 8 or 10 it is real nasty and really is a mud pit. Lots of fun but you need to play longer than I did last night to make the clean up worth it. Last time I took the 800 through it I had alot of kids over(nieces and nephews) and they wouldn't let me stop,lol. With the PXT's I could nail it and throw mud 15-20' in the air,they loved it. I probably made 15 passes that day and it took me a good 3 hours to get it clean.

Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wlvrn

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

In that situation less throttle is better and no offense but a skilled rider might have avoided the situation,but nonetheless the tires are WEAK in the mud.</end quote></div>

ouch man! avoided by not going in the mud maybe oloo ;P we had just stopped to get a drink, off to the side where i thought the ground was harder. i got off the bike and we were walking around, the ground was alittle soft but seemed fairely solid. i got back on and took off slow beings i knew the ground was soft. it moved about an inch forward then 4 down. at this point i started to rock it side to side and back and forth, nothing!!! just dug me in further. the tires have no bit.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

And on a side note;

What? No helmet?!, and Tennis shoes?! For shame For shame!!LOL!</end quote></div>

i was in my back yard and i never wear it there [img][/img] the shoe are my old paintball cleats(fully water proof)</end quote></div>

I was just giving you a little cr_p , I generaly don't wear mine around the house either!

Quick Reply: xp stock tires suck