Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

xp stock tires suck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xp stock tires suck

I agree they are good trail tires and ride real smooth. I don't like them for rocks though,too little sidewall protection IMO. Rock tires need the tread to extend farther onto the sidewall,like Bighorns for instance. I am really suprised Polaris went with these tires,even a rider who prefers dry trails needs the piece of mind of having a tire that is fairly capable in the mud. I ride mostly dry trails but I think we all find outselves with mud in our paths at one time or another. I don't like not feeling confident in the machine not getting stuck in most any reasonable situation. Even with the PXTs I felt alot more confident and I never had to use the winch to get unstuck. I have already had to use the winch on the XP. They could have chose a better all around tire for sure.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I think the stock tires will be Ok in the snow, but nothing to talk about. I was in mud and water and ice all weekend. The mud wasn't real bad, but the stock tires spun quite a bit. It was nice to be able to drive through it in 4 wheel drive, low range, out to my deer stand with a coffee thermos in one hand and the handlebars in the other. Even over muddy, rough, slow (5-8 mph) trails.....I can still steer it one handed rather easily. I really like the new low range. It works so much better. Now I just need a set of Bighorns. Possibly thinking 27's this time, but not sure if they come in 14's.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...what kind of tire is coming on the XP's? Are they radials or bias? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Just curious...

biz

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most ATVs come with decent trail tires on them and people who do a lot of muddin' buy mud tires to replace the stock tires. I guess that's what people have to do with the XP.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

like i said in my first post, they trail ride great!! they just suck in the mud. i use a pressure washer too. just have to be carefull is all.

rancher55- my wife did almost the same thing to me!! although she didnt want to mess anything up so she said pick it out yourself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] her and jokout were talking about him picking it up and bringing it to my bday party. instead she thought if i dont pick it out myself something would be wrong and she wanted it to be perfect.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wlvrn

like i said in my first post, they trail ride great!! they just suck in the mud. i use a pressure washer too. just have to be carefull is all.

rancher55- my wife did almost the same thing to me!! although she didnt want to mess anything up so she said pick it out yourself [img][/img] her and jokout were talking about him picking it up and bringing it to my bday party. instead she thought if i dont pick it out myself something would be wrong and she wanted it to be perfect.</end quote></div>

Yes there are a few really good gals out there![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
We're just lucky I guess!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

So...what kind of tire is coming on the XP's? Are they radials or bias? [img][/img]

Just curious...

biz</end quote></div>

Carlisle "Terrathon" Radials.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Most ATVs come with decent trail tires on them and people who do a lot of muddin' buy mud tires to replace the stock tires. I guess that's what people have to do with the XP.</end quote></div>

I guess the PXTs just spolied me a little with regard to a stock tire. They really performed well all around IMO. I do very little muddin really. The stock tires are weak in anything but completely dry terrain IMO. If you are on a trail covered with damp leaves and there is any sloping turns you better be ready. Weak lateral traction. I had the rear end slide like I was on ice doing about 2mph into a downward left hand turn on the trail,the only thing that stop the sliding was the edge of the trail was raised. I've took that trail in alot of conditions with the PXTs and never had that happen before.. I know "most" bike come with crap tires,but I though Polaris wasn't "most". Especially since it is the "Extreme Performance" version. Oh well..

Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

You've got a great wife if she wants to turn part of your yard into a mud pit,God bless that woman!

My wife loves to ride but I'm sure we will never have a mud pit in the yard.</end quote></div>

I'll tell you what guys, I had been kind of hinting about how I wanted an 850 Xp in stealth black and with a snow plow too, and one day about a month ago I had been out fishing and when we were done I was supposed to go pick up my wife from work and go get something to eat before we went home. When I picked her up she said, lets go by the Polaris shop and see what they have in used quads.

So we stopped in there and went in and there was the exact quad I had been wanting,(snow plow and all) with ribbons on it like someone had gotton it as a gift! I thought that the dealer had sold it to someone else! Then my wife told me to read the note on it and I did and it said HAPPY BIRTHDAY and MERRY CHRISTMAS with MY name!!

Wow was I ever surprised!

She had been working on the deal for a month before they even got it in!

I sure LOVE that woman!!</end quote></div>

Thats really cool! We actually got ours the day after our wedding. We had been talking about buying at least one and had been on several rides using family/friends machines.
It was also her idea to go to the Polaris shop. I knew at that very moment I had married the right woman...lol. The surprise was nothing like yours but pretty cool anyway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Most ATVs come with decent trail tires on them and people who do a lot of muddin' buy mud tires to replace the stock tires. I guess that's what people have to do with the XP.</end quote></div>

I guess the PXTs just spolied me a little with regard to a stock tire. They really performed well all around IMO. I do very little muddin really. The stock tires are weak in anything but completely dry terrain IMO. If you are on a trail covered with damp leaves and there is any sloping turns you better be ready. Weak lateral traction. I had the rear end slide like I was on ice doing about 2mph into a downward left hand turn on the trail,the only thing that stop the sliding was the edge of the trail was raised. I've took that trail in alot of conditions with the PXTs and never had that happen before.. I know "most" bike come with crap tires,but I though Polaris wasn't "most". Especially since it is the "Extreme Performance" version. Oh well..</end quote></div>

The best stock tires is one thing Polaris always had going for them. Carlisle PXT, Goodyear Rawhide Grip, Goodyear Tracker P, Titan 489 and Carlisle 489 all work okay on any terrain including some mud and snow, not just dry dirt. It's a shame they lowered themselves to the competitions level on an upscale model. It's like paying for a Cadillac and getting $50 generic tires on it. I think they are planning on most people replacing the tires on the XP, but you shouldn't have to spend more money just to have decent tires. I'm disappointed with them.

Quick Reply: xp stock tires suck