Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD and Speedometer don't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good pics on repair. Did you use any type of sealant to try to keep moisture out when you replaced the plate and lens?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ TaterTots"

That is awesome, I adding that to my favorites for when that day comes ,and I,m sure it will. LOL

Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't use any sealant because my rubber gasket around the face was nice and soft & I was able to close the bezel up like new. However, I did replace the desiccant packs that were inside with new ones for good measure. There was no evidence of moisture inside the housing.

I guess if I have trouble with it, I can just take it apart again. It's really that simple to do.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have no speedo lights, hours, or mileage on the guage and my AWD indicator doesn't light up. The AWD doesn't engage either in FWD or REVERSE.
I tested the (A) red/white (B) brown wires and have 12.33 volts. I used my multimeter and placed the red probe into (A) and black into (B).
I wasn't able to figure out how to test (E) brown/white for the AWD. I placed my probes in all the slots but only got a reading of .54 volts with the key on and the AWD switched on. The AWD light doesn't turn on and I figure this is because of the bad speedo.
So how can I test the AWD again?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TaterTots
I didn't use any sealant because my rubber gasket around the face was nice and soft & I was able to close the bezel up like new. However, I did replace the desiccant packs that were inside with new ones for good measure. There was no evidence of moisture inside the housing.

I guess if I have trouble with it, I can just take it apart again. It's really that simple to do.
Do I only need to replace the two TIP 48 voltage regulators? I have never soldered before and plan to heat the three prongs up from the bottom where there is more room. Is this a good approach?
Did you replace the desiccant with a canister style and if so, where do you find them?

Last edited by geargrinder27; 03-30-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: completeness
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Out of curiosity, where is the mileage and hour information stored?
In the speedometer or some other area. If in the speedometer, can it be erased by this repair?
Kevin

Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1999 Sportsman Speedo Repair

Originally Posted by TaterTots
I know this thread is old, but here are some pictures to go along with the speedo repair description. My speedo had no function at all; no lights, no speed no odometer. Dead as a door nail.
Take it all apart. I used a flat screwdriver to start prying the back of the bezel up, then used small flat pliers to carefully and evenly continue around the edge without wrecking it. The speed needle just pulls straight up.

Here's what's inside:

Those 3 legged guys are the things you want to unsolder and replace.

I found it easiest to nip the legs off with a small side cutter so I could unsolder and remove one leg at a time. I have a standard soldering iron and found it very difficult to heat up all 3 at once to remove the transistor as a whole.

Then you clean out the holes and install the new transistor & solder in place. It's a very easy repair, but a little fussy. To save myself $250-$300, I'd do it all day long.

I also took this opportunity to polish out the plastic lens because it was all milky looking. It came out crystal clear.

If your speedo is dead like mine and you've ruled out the simple stuff, why not give this a try. It's not going to get any more broken & hey, you might just fix it!
Good luck with your repair!

I replaced both 3 legged voltage regulators and still the same problem. I did notice it had gotten hot enough to melt the plastic housing where the metal at the top of the voltage regulator fits in it. What else on the circuit board do I need to replace?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...I'm not an electronics guru, so unfortunately, I can't tell you specifically what to check, but if it got that hot, I'd check all the solder and the printed circuits. Those printed circuits tend to melt away when they get really hot, so I guess I'd start there. Also, I believe that the little things that look like Advils will discolor when they're blown, too.

Maybe someone who knows more will chime in. Good luck with it.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DitchDigger
As posted by another member, it helped me fix my problem.. I added the picture.

Polaris Speedo Troubleshooting

Pull the 6 prong plug and test for 12 volts between ((A) Red/White +) and ((B) Brown -) on the plug not the speedometer, when the key is on.
If you see 12 to 13 volts with your meter do the same test with a small 12 volt light. If the light works, it is probably the speedometer.

If you do not have 12 volts between ((A) Red/White +) and ((B) Brown -) on the plug when the key is on, the speedometer may be OK and
you have a wiring problem elsewhere.

The brown/white wire (wire E) on the speedometer is where the AWD system gets the ground to make it work. 12 volts on this wire would be normal with the AWD system on and the 6 prong plug removed.

You can "test" the AWG system by bypassing the speedometer. Remove the 6 prong plug and use a straighten paper clip to slide the brown/white wire out of the 6 prong plug. Put the 6 prong plug back on the speedometer and tie the brown/white wire to ground.

If the AWD system works you can leave the speedometer bypass, just be careful when you turn on the AWD switch

Once you do this, do you have to plug the 6 wire back in or does it matter since the speedo doesn't work?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another question. If the speedo is bad and you perform the brn/wht bypass to get the awd working and leave the 6 pin harness unplugged, does the reverse override work?

Thanks

Quick Reply: AWD and Speedometer don't work