Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb vs EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb vs EFI

EFI would be ok if you went to higher elevations.But for me I like the simplicity of the carbs plus you have less electrical parts to go bad such as sensors and computer components.If you are like me I keep things a long time and I still dont know how well the EFI will hold up through the years of hard ridding and abuse.
I am the same way on my Harley mine is 36 yrs olsd and runs good how will the new EFI units hold up?Plus the CV carb on these Polaris is very tunable and you dont have to remap the box.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs EFI

I never seen a carb ATV or even a snowmobile. I could not start in the winter easily,and our winter in Norther Ontario Canada are as cold as they get. Pull choke hit starter putton then turn off choke,not that hard of a thing to do.

By all these post you swear nothing would run in the winter before EFI.

If you like the 400 H.O than buy it , I grantee it will start up and run anytime you want to ride it. Like carb machines have been doing fo years.

I rode a 500 EFI and I could not tell the deference, both start both go.

Every machine in this pic has a carb including the (blue) new 600 Polaris sled,all started and ran for the weekend. Can,t tell but it was cold take my word for it.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

There is no choke to mess with on an EFI, that is what makes it easier to start. Just push the button, no opening and closing the choke. I agree that carb is not difficult to start in the cold if you know your machine.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Carb vs EFI

They both still need the same warm up period, not sure how a EFI can warm the engine oil up to operational temp any faster.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default Carb vs EFI

I agree TLC, also if you plan on keeping it for a long time the carb is the way to go. Also if the dealer is a long ways away and the computer needs to be worked on you are out of luck. (reflashed). example: I have a 1969 ford truck, I gaurantee if it was efi it would not be running like it is now. this truck has never been restored with 400,000 miles. pulled it out of the woods from sitting for 10 years, put gas in the carb, charged battery and it fired right up. if it was efi I would not have bothered. Just thinking of the long term for your machine. maybe not as long as the example I have here but maybe just 10yrs down the line.

yes, TLC you are right it still needs a 15min warm up wether it is efi or carb.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

No one ever said EFI warms up faster.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb vs EFI

It does not matter which is better.......... because EFI is taking over ATVs just like it too over cars and in another couple years there will be no carb models left......

That said carbs are fine when tuned properly....EFI just makes things more uniform, as they don't suffer from most of the bad fuel issues that a carb can suffer from, and they deliver more consistent power......

EFI is technically more advanced so it has more possibilities.....

Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Carb vs EFI

I would do one thing first.
See the search button? Click on the advanced button.
Punch in EFI problems, troubles, click on the polaris forum and hit go.
Read some of the problems that some have had with EFI on their ATV's.
I would go with a carb.................for now...........but that is just me.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carb vs EFI

I HAVE A 2007 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI AND A 05 SPORTSMAN 500 CARBED AND SIDE BY SIDE THE EFI WILL LEAVE THE 05 EVEN WITH A PASSENGER

Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Carb vs EFI

Stoopidbot -
I agree I have some friends that have a cabin just before Ouray and all the trails up there are what you are talking about. We don't face that here that when the EFI will really make a difference. I was talking with a guy that says he keeps his bike jetted for higher elevation and it runs fine down here in the desert. I love being in the Rockies beautiful place and great fly fishing!

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI