Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb vs EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs EFI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>EFI has advantages including more power, at least on the Sportsman 500s. It's 1.5 HP more than the carb H.O. They aren't rated the same power. </end quote></div>

Thats the HP Power of a gas weed whacker hardly enough to be felt.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Carb vs EFI

I find it odd that this topic comes up at least once a week and it always ends up being the same argument. One thing that is a fact of EFI it is more efficiant than any carb therefore it help meet emissions end of story!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carb vs EFI

EFI...is the best thing to ever happen to a car. That said..sensitive electronics are not allies of water and jostling. IN the long term...I think a carb is better suited for an atv.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

Just stating if someone buys a EFI ATV and expects some eye opening diffentent riding experience over there old carburated Machine will be in a major disappointment.

Want a actually difference that you can actually feel, get a clutch kit I would say.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>EFI...is the best thing to ever happen to a car. </end quote></div>

Car are different they have sophisticated Port Fuel Injection or Direct Fuel Injection

ATVs have the simple "throttle body" set up found on the old 87 chevy trucks.

Throttle Body Injection is the most simple type of EFI and the closest to carburetion in operation. Fuel is injected above the throttle blades by one or more fuel injector nozzles. Both fuel and air are carried throughout the entire intake tract.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

What about the guys with EFI on their big 4x4 quads with a snorkel that go almost completely under water. Their EFI doesn't short out or have any problem. Do you really think these quad makers would just release a machine that they haven't tested under all conditions?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

Throttle body's still have a air box and air filter to supply air to the motor,if water enters the intake of the engine EFI or Carb its game over. There was some issues with the ECM brain box on the first models but that has be fixed since 07.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

That was my point, is that they take precautions. They didn't release a machine with EFI that will die if it gets wet. If it gets water in the system of course it done.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Just stating if someone buys a EFI ATV and expects some eye opening diffentent riding experience over there old carburated Machine will be in a major disappointment.

Want a actually difference that you can actually feel, get a clutch kit I would say.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>EFI...is the best thing to ever happen to a car. </end quote></div>

Car are different they have sophisticated Port Fuel Injection or Direct Fuel Injection

ATVs have the simple "throttle body" set up found on the old 87 chevy trucks.

Throttle Body Injection is the most simple type of EFI and the closest to carburetion in operation. Fuel is injected above the throttle blades by one or more fuel injector nozzles. Both fuel and air are carried throughout the entire intake tract.</end quote></div>

Not that it really matters but didn't we discuss this in another thread? I guess you didn't believe me? If it wasn't you then you copied the exact post that I corrected in another thread. Anyway.. Once again, Polaris EFI is NOT throttlebody injection,it has sequential port injection where one injector per cylinder is mounted in the head and sprays right at the intake valve at specific intervals .Fuel is kept at a constant pressure and the length of the spray(milliseconds) is increased or decreased depending on fuel demand(called pulse width). The fuel does not have to travel the intake tract,it goes right into the cylinder. ALL EFI engines use a Throttle body, ALL of them. So just because it has a throttlebody doesn't automatically mean it is TBI. Polaris has never used TBI. It uses a Bosch sequential port injection. A far cry from an 87 Chevy truck.

I'm not trying to be smart,just pass the correct info. I'm not always right for sure,but if someone points it out I do some research before I continue to pass bad gouge.
Later.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

Sorry just going by Polaris's own specs. http://www.spoiledsports.com/n...sc=ATVs&ModelYear=2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Carburetion 40 mm dual-throttle bodies, EFI </end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Once again, Polaris EFI is NOT throttlebody injection,it has sequential port injection where one injector per cylinder is mounted in the head</end quote></div>

How do you get injector going into to head from this.500 EFI injector

Looks to be in pipe intake unless there wrong also. Pipe intake #37 The HEAD is #10 no injector there same head as the H.O exactly.

Here is a pic of a throttle body

Does that look like some technological break through?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carb vs EFI

Those specs say nothing about TBI, they say it has throttlebodies,Every EFI engine has one or more throttlebodies. All they do is control airflow using a spring loaded blade attached to the throttle cable(or a motor on newer drive by wire engines). Your're right there isn't anything real high tech about a throttlebody. there doesn't need to be,again it controls airflow based on throttle position, that is it!
TBI sprays fuel in BEFORE THE THROTTLEBODY. On the 500 it goes through the wall of the intake track RIGHT at the head and is angled toward the head. With the design of that head that is as close as you can get to the intake valve. And is most definitely POST throttlebody.

TBI: Throttle Body Injection
Usually a single point injector placed before the throttle plate; looks much like a carburetor. One injector feeds all the cylinders. In some applications, two injectors may be used side by side. Usually TBI systems run low pressure (15 psi) fuel systems.

MPFI: Multi point Fuel Injection
Where an injector is mounted in the intake plenum pointed more or less at each cylinder's intake valve. When fired, the injectors spray fuel toward their respective intake valves. Fuel Pressure is approximately 45 psi.

I could go on and on but you have your mind made up.
Try reading this all the way..
http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=761941

</a>
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://atvconnection.com/Features/ATV_Reviews/2004-Polaris-700-EFI.cfm
&lt;br ">"&gt;http://www.atvconnection....ris-700-EFI.cfm
</a>
"The Bosch multi-port semi-sequential injection system eliminates the need for a carburetor"

For anyone esle who cares, it isn't TBI.

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI