Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 sportsman efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 sportsman efi

hello, can anyone give me any ideas why my 2008 500 efi runs like crap? it only has a dozen hours on it and it either won't idle or it races @2500-3000 rpm when sitting.it has been to the dealer and they cant figure it out.they have a few at the shop just sitting and waiting for someone to figure it out. i have checked the cable for the correct free play. all wire harness connections look good. i have changed the fuel and spark plugs. any advice would be great. i am thinking about getting rid of it and a little leary about another polaris. thank you

Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did the dealer reprogram it?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

not really sure what they did. i don't think they even know. i have tried talking to other dealers and they don't want to touch it.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i failed to state that the machine will run great most of the time. it seems to act up when you are riding along at a steady speed and then let up on the throttle. when it does act up , if you shut it down and restart it the problem will stop for awhile.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

It ma be a clogged injector, I'd at least try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and some 91 octane gas

Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

EFI getting it idle adjusted.

Hope your dealer is good at sevice as well as sales.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

You can adjust the idle on that machine without a computer,but that is not the problem anyway.
You do need a computer for the XP's as they use an idle air control valve..anyway..

Is it throwing any codes? For the idle to stick that high it either has to be a sticking throttle blade(which should trigger the ETC and basically shut down the engine) or a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake tract. Maybe an intermitten air leak,those can be hard to find.
No EFI sensor can just command it to run at 2500-3000 RPM, it must have enough airflow to do so and the throttlebody controls that. The throttlebody is in no way controlled by any sensor or the ECM,strictly by the throttle cable and return spring.
A lean fuel condition(ie clogged injector ect). can increase idle speed,but I would be suprised if it increased that much. Hope this helps. If you have anymore info maybe we can lead you in the right direction.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

EFI getting it idle adjusted.

Hope your dealer is good at sevice as well as sales.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]</end quote></div>

Doesn't seem like it, if they don't know what's wrong with it

Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

i tried that. did not see a change. it is intermitant. i think it is a sensor or computer issue. it scares me that polaris does not have a clue either. i would love to dump this thing and get a different machine. the whole lemon law thing does not help for non registered motor vehicles. i will probably bring it back to the dealer once more and if the problem can't be fixed i will see if they or polaris will buy it back, which i doubt. it just sucks that it is a 1hr.45 min ride one way just to have them call me back and say it is all set. the sad thing about this is the machine is my wife's and she just uses it around the property to do gardening and rip around abit. maybe it needs a good thrashing!! i look forward to any help...thank you

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

the dealer says that no codes are showing. i don't think it is a stuck throttle blade or cable because when it idles high if you shut down the machine and restart it with out touching the throttle , it will be fine. the same thing happens when you drive it and it does not want to idle at all. it is hit or miss.

Quick Reply: 500 sportsman efi