Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to: 1994 Trail Boss 250 drive sprocket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: 1994 Trail Boss 250 drive sprocket replacement

I read several pages and decided to make this easy for newbies like me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

First of all my quad had a 11 tooth front sprocket. I replaced with a 12 tooth since it's easier to find at the shop where I live.

OK, on the 94 you have to remove the rear brake caliper.
Two bolts hold on the plastic cover over the brake.
Then two bolts hold the caliper on.
The bottom bolt on the caliper is hidden by the arm of the brake. Use a 7/16 socket to take the bolt out and the arm will come off exposing the bottom bolt. You won't have to remove the arm from the brake lever.
Once the caliper has been removed, the disc just slips off the shaft (it floats on the shaft).
Behind the disc is another plate that 3 bolts holding it on. Remove those and take that plate off.

Loosen the chain by loosing the two bolt on the back of the swing arm.
Mine was froze up so I had to remove the bolts and sort of bang the two pieces apart to loosen up the axle. Then I was able to use a hammer and a crowbar to tap the axle around and loosen the chain.

Once the chain is off then you can reach the front sprocket. There is a snap ring that keeps this from falling off (it also just floats on the shaft).

You can use snap ring plyers (recommended) or a screw driver and extra person to remove the snap ring. This is a place where the right tool for the job will make your life so much easier. Plyers aren't that much anyhow.

Once the snap ring is removed the sprocket will slide off. Slide the new one on and put the snap ring back on. Then reassemble your brake and tighten up the chain. Should be good to go.

It took me a bit to get everything worked out since it was covered in mud and cow crap (I live on a farm). Might want to wash your quad before trying this. It's also recommended to replace front and rear and chain all at the same time. In my case I didn't care so I just replaced the front as my rear and chain seemed ok. I have read that is will wear faster if you don't do all 3.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to know how to do it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you dont need anybodys help!! Good post! opt

Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: old polaris tech

Sounds like you dont need anybodys help!! Good post! opt</end quote></div>

Yeah I started out not having a clue. Then I just knuckled down and started tearing it apart until I figured it out. Some of the other postings on here helped me figure things out. So then once I had it I figured make it a step by step. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I like a good how to [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]