Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Two winch capability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two winch capability?

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there is any way to mount a second winch to the rear of the machine?

Was there consideration made for this from the factory? Factory kits? Aftermarket bolt on kits?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Polaris multi-mount before so I could swap the winch from one end to the other in a matter of seconds. No need to buy 2 winches. Warn still makes a multi-mount the last time I checked. You could put 2 winches on and if they're both plugged in the cables would probably go in or out at the same time. If you buy a military vehicle it has 2 winches on it already. 2 gas tanks too.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I know the MV7 used to have a winch on both ends. Not sure about the new ones. I think they are called MV700 and MV800. They are Polaris Defense products for the military. I believe anyone can buy them though. Not sure if they offer a rear winch mount for the consumer side of things though. A good welder should be able to fabricate one.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

i mounted one under the rear of my scram.looks great,does not stick out like the front of the scram usually looks,blocking air flow,i looked around for a mount and ended up making own.maybe your model can be had.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I had a Polaris multi-mount before so I could swap the winch from one end to the other in a matter of seconds. No need to buy 2 winches. Warn still makes a multi-mount the last time I checked. You could put 2 winches on and if they're both plugged in the cables would probably go in or out at the same time. If you buy a military vehicle it has 2 winches on it already. 2 gas tanks too.</end quote></div>

Good call... if it was easy to swap from front to back it could save a few bucks. I was initially planning on picking one up on Ebay and fabbing my own mount if I had to. I was hoping to use it for skidding small trees... wiching them up to the tow line or trailer.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

If you got another winch I'd use 1 1/4" square tubing and weld a plate on top for the winch, stick it in the reciever and your done

Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

I saw some winch mounts on E-bay for cheap. Winches there seem reasonably priced as well.

I had an idea to fab my own small flatbed trailer for hauling wood. Mount a winch behind the hitch at the front of the trailer with a small mast and run the winch cable thru it to the log. I could run a 12V accesory cable to the plug in on the quad to power the winch... or go with a gasoline powered one $$$. That way I could winch them onto the flatbed. Just an idea.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Lots of people have wrenches on the front and back at once, the quick release are not so quick when your stuck in a waist deep swamp hole and have to get off the ATV to swap ends.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Groovy

I saw some winch mounts on E-bay for cheap. Winches there seem reasonably priced as well.

I had an idea to fab my own small flatbed trailer for hauling wood. Mount a winch behind the hitch at the front of the trailer with a small mast and run the winch cable thru it to the log. I could run a 12V accesory cable to the plug in on the quad to power the winch... or go with a gasoline powered one $$$. That way I could winch them onto the flatbed. Just an idea.</end quote></div>

Good idea but it needs tweaking a little. Mount the winch so it has a straight pull on the logs..mast would need to be pretty strong if you really need to do that. Straight pull would be better. Also the 12V accesory plug will not handle the amperage draw of a winch. Think about how large the cables are that go to the winch...you need something that size from the solenoid direct to the battery. There a large connectors you could buy to mount somewhere on the rear of the ATV so you could just plug the winch to battery power. If you want to do it cheap and easy take a small set of jumper cables cut off one end and solder on some ring terminals that will fit the solenoid. Then you just pull off the seat and hook up the cables when you want to winch. Make sure you leave the machine running while you do,and it might not hurt to rev it up a little while winching...depending on how heavy the load is(remember dragging trees is dead weight...i've done it alot, a 1000lbs log will work out a 3000 # winch pretty good)the winch will draw a crap load of juice. Also you need to be prepared for it to try to move your rig before the log,lol Even if you aren't talking about anything that big it is easy under estimate the weight of a tree.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good info HIGHOCTANE, and don't forget to use a "****** block" if your load is really heavy.

Quick Reply: Two winch capability?